POLING-L Archives

Archiver > POLING > 1999-01 > 0917511890

From: "Nicholas Sturm" <>
Subject: Re: Martin Poling
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 03:24:50 -0500

The past few days I've been studying through Clerissa Tatterson's work to
see if I can find more than the obvious.

Although Clerissa suggests that Samuel (s/o Martin & Elizabeth) "may not
have returned to Scott County, Ind as his estate settlement was recorded in
Probate Book 6:172-129 in 1842" that was actually 15 years after the Deed
was made (perhaps in part to correct inadequacies in Martin's Will) in 1827.

It appears that this Samuel of Harrison Co., VA and Scott County, IN had two
wives unless there is a typographic error in Mrs. Tatterson's work. The
widow of Samuel who settled his estate appears to have the name Eleanor (p.
75), not Deborah.
This sale of property in Doddridge appears the earliest reference that
associates Samuel (s/o Martin) directly to Doddridge county, but several
descendants are found there later. Have you any information regarding this
"2nd" wife?

If I read correctly Rev. John H. is Samuel's son and since he was buried in
the Poling Cemetery on Booths Creek, near Boothsville, Harrison Co., VA (the
cemetery set aside in Martin's will it would appear), it seems quite
possible that Samuel, dying in
1842 would be in that cemetery. Just conjecture.

Three of Samuel's children married members of the Miller family (Harrison?
or Doddridge?). Not until we get to Samuel (s/o Samuel (s/o Martin)) do we
find
Dodridge mentioned with a family member --except for widow Eleanor selling
the Samuel land on Toms Fork of Middle Island Creek (then Harrison -- far
western but later Doddridge). There is a specific suggestion that William
also lived in
Doddridge to 1854 when he apparently went to Washington (Co.?), PA (see
below which appears to be William (s/o Martin) and not William (s/o Samuel
(s/o Martin)).
Mrs. Tatterson also seems to have no awareness of the surname Tull for
Martin's wife although Elizabeth does appear in some of the records and also
in the 1820 census of Harrison (where some have interpreted Poland as
Polard, a common misreading of the name in classic records). It is likely
that Tull was either from
Maryland or Loudoun Co., VA. Any ideas on this?

There seems no question that Samuel (s/o Martin) married first in (or near)
Harrison County. The name Howard is found in early Monongalia also.

I found these two families in 1810 in Harrison, the year Samuel married
Deborah Howard:

Census, Harrison Co., 1810

John Howard
Males Under 10 - 0 Females Under 10 - 0
Males 10-16 - 1 Females 10-16 - 1
Males 16-26 - 2 Females 16-26 - 2
Males 26-45 - 0 Females 26-45 - 0
Males 45-up - 1 Females 45-up - 1

William Howard
Males Under 10 - 0 Females Under 10 - 2
Males 10-16 - 0 Females 10-16 - 0
Males 16-26 - 0 Females 16-26 - 0
Males 26-45 - 1 Females 26-45 - 1
Males 45-up - 0 Females 45-up - 1

It would appear the John Howard might be the father of Deborah. No direct
evidence,
just possibility.

I found this family in 1850 Gilmer (Doddridge came in part from Gilmer, I
believe):

Dwelling and Household Number 348
Enumerated Aug. 20, 1850

N. Poland age 30 years M Farmer b. Va.
Reachel " 27 F b. "
Wesley " 7 M b. "
Frank " 3 M b. "

The index for my Va 1850 census set indicate there is a Bridget Poland in
Ritchie
County which is adjacent Gilmer and may have been a source of some
Doddridge.
However, even with a very pale page, it is clear the Bridget is not Bridget
Poland,
but probably Bridget Runyan 41 years, b. Va. and immediately above is Nancy
Poland (probably) age 21 years; both appear to be designated idiotic and are
in a household headed by ????? Williamson, age 74, b. MD, his wife, Ann M.
age 70 (?), b. PA with Ellen M., age 32, property $5000.

I found only two Polands in index for Harrison Co., 1850, but perusal of
that page
showed three families:

Dwelling & Household Number 627
Enumerated on 21st August 1850

Jonathan Poland 24 M Farmer b. Va.
Lydia 17 F b. " (age
may be 19)

Dwelling & Household Number 628

Jonathan Poland 24 M Farmer b. Va. (Should be
Rev. Jonathan)
Margaret (?) 20 F b. "

Dwelling & Household Number 630
William Poland 49 M Farmer $3000 b. Va.