POLISH-SURNAMES-L Archives

Archiver > POLISH-SURNAMES > 2004-02 > 1075877268

From: "Richard Lemek" <>
Subject: Re: [POLISH-SURNAMES] Re: Surname of Iwaskiewicz
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 00:47:48 -0600

Just to jump in here with a comment: Those letter pronunciations truly are
important. I was researching the surnames Bayonek and Borey as that's the
way they were spelled on the records I had...and, I was getting nowhere when
I searched these names on the internet. Mr. Hoffman pointed out to me that
they were probably written on the records the way they sounded, and that if
I substituted a j for the y in both names it would likely be a better
search. I did, and it was. I hit paydirt spelling them Bajonek and Borej.
At least enough paydirt to enable me to keep on digging.

Successful searching to one and all,
Maureen Lemek