POPE-L Archives

Archiver > POPE > 1997-01 > 0852595441

From: Charles E Johnson< >
Subject: Humphrey Pope
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 1997 19:04:01 EST

Janice recently posted an informative article about HUMPHREY POPE and his
descendants. I descend from him and have this additional input--

8 July 1685-HUMPHREY POPE was one of several hundred men convicted before
Chief Justice Jefferies at the Court of Oyer and Terminer for Dorset,
Somerset and Devon for waging war against the King and sentenced to be
transported to the Americas (sentence enrolled on 4 February 1691). Also
on the list was a JOHN POPE.

24 October 1685-HUMPHREY POPE of Taunton was among those on a list of
rebels convicted after Monmouth's rebellion and transported from Bristol
to Barbados by the frigate "John", Mr. William Stokes.

Westmoreland County VA Wills-

POPE, Lawrence, 23 March 1723; 10 May 1723, Washington Parish
Land I live on to sons HUMPHREY, THOMAS, and JOHN; THOMAS land in Cople
Parish; JOHN land at POPE'S CREEK; dau. Elizabeth 1 negro and furniture;
dau. Ann 1 negro and furniture; dau. Mary 1 negro and furniture; dau.
Jemima Spence 1 negro woman; dau. Penelope 1 negro etc.; dau. Catherine 1
negro; James son of Benj. Waddey; godson John, son of Nicholas Minor 1
mare; wife Jemima; bro. HUMPHREY POPE and bro. Nicholas Minor 33
shillings gold for rings; wife and son HUMPHREY exrs; to children horses,
cattle, household goods.

POPE, HUMPHREY, 10 Jan. 1732; 29 Oct. 1734.
Dau. Ann Conditt 1/2 of my land in Prince William Co.; dau. Sophia Muse
1/2 of my land in Prince William Co.; sons HUMPHREY and JOHN; daus. Sarah
POPE, Mary Muse and Mary POPE; my wife's dau. Elizabeth Morrison; my wife
Mary and four youngest children; wife, coz. Daniel McCarty and Peter Jett
exrs.

POPE, HUMPHREY, 9 Aug. 1759; 27 May 1760.
Land to wife Sarah and at her death to son JOHN; to HUMPHREY, BENJAMIN,
MARY, and NATHANIEL POPE my children residue of estate.

The above shows that we have more than one HUMPHREY to deal with in this
family, and I hope it will whet the appetite of some of our fellow
researchers.

Regards
Charles Johnson

Charlie in beautiful Charleston