POPE-L Archives

Archiver > POPE > 1999-03 > 0920362310

From: <>
Subject: Re: Jesse Pope/Mary Fort marriage
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 03:11:50 EST

In a message dated 2/28/99 11:58:25 PM, ( Larry Comer) writes:

<< It seems to be generally accepted that Jesse Pope, son of Major John
Pope and Mourning McKinnie, married Mary Fort, daughter of Elias. Can
anyone offer proof of that marriage?>>

Larry,
Following may not provide you the proof you are seeking but I am including the
related information (including Will abstracts) for general interest.

David Pope ()
2407 Hodges Bend Circle
Sugar Land, TX 77479
281/980-8893

See Ref #1: Jesse Pope received a land grant in GA for service as a private in
the NC Troops. He was born in Chowan Co, NC and died, 1820, in Hancock Co, GA
m. Mary Fort, parents of Cullen Pope.
Henry Pope appointed as Guardian-Feb 1750 & chose by Jesse as guardian Nov
1757. Listed as J.P. in many legal dealings in Jones Co, GA.

See Ref #2: Hancock Co, GA, Jesse McKinnie Pope. Will: Dated 17 Dec 1818
Probated 5 Jun 1820.
Legacy: Son, Jesse McKinnie Pope, negro fellow, Lewis, which he now has in his
possession, on his deducting $500 off from his value, which sum of money he
sent me; son, Cullen Pope, negro boy, Julius; son Henry Pope, negro boy,
Frank; dau., Mary Denton, negro woman, Daphne. Remainder of estate should be
sold and from the proceeds thereof I give son Samuel $50; dau. Ann Long, $100;
grandaughter, Mary Weaver, $100; grandaughter, Frances Godwin, $100 and the
remainder, after settling above legacies, equally divided between my dau. Mary
Denton, my son, John Pope, and my dau., Sarah Trippe. Having already given
away my land, still and C?? to my son Allen Pope at my decease, I conclude
that they will be sufficient for his part of my estate.
Execs: John Denton and Joseph Roberts.
Wit: Sterling Evans, John B. Denton
See Ref #2: There appears to have been considerable intermarriage between the
Pope family and the Trippe family during Jesse's time and later. See John
Tripp notes.

See Ref #2: Jesse was the direct ancestor of Edmond Macon Edmondson, and he
was a Revolutionary soldier from NC. This is attested to in the lineage
records of the National Society, Dau. of Amer. Rev. Jesse was still under age
in Nov 1757, but he was over 14 as he chose a guardian at that time.

See Ref #2: Proof that Jesse Pope is the son of John Pope and his wife
Mourning Pope is established by the following: first the will of Winnifred
Pope, Halifax Co, NC Feb 1762 (Halifax Co. Wills, 1755-1781, p. 22). The will
reads in part as follows: Item: "I give and bequeath to my living brother,
Jesse Pope, my negro girl Velate, my bed and furniture and my walnut chest to
him and his heirs and assigns forever. Item: I give and bequeath to my living
brother, Lewis Pope, my negro man, Peter, and one small chest to him and his
heirs and assigns forever. Item: I give and bequeath to my loving cousin,
Morning Pope, (this was the daughter of one of Jesse's brothers) my riding
saddle, one pair of silver sleeve buttons, one pair of silver shoe buttons,
one chinch gown, one couney cloth ditto, two petticoats, two aprons, two
skirts, two hankerchiefs, two pair of gloves, two caps, one pair of stays and
one neckles.--Further, I constitute and appoint my living brother, Henry Pope,
executor of this my last will and testament..."

See Ref #3: Jesse Pope, m. 1st Mary Fort, 2nd Leah Latimer, Sep 22, 1808 in
Hancock Co, GA His will was recorded in Hancock Co, GA in 1818.
See Ref #4: Feb 1750, Edgecombe Co, NC-Henry Pope appointed guardian of Jesse
Pope & Lewis Pope, orphan's of John Pope, dec'd.
See Ref #4: 16 Nov 1757, Edgecombe Co, NC-Jesse Pope, orphan of John Pope,
dec'd chose Henry Pope as guardian.
See Ref #5: 4 Nov 1783, Edgecombe Co, NC-Jesse (x) Pope of Edgecombe Co, NC
to Adkins Pope of same. Deed of Gift. 175 acres which was part of a 700 acre
tract granted to John Dickson 10 Mar 1761, on north side of Fishing Creek,
joining William Kitchen, Solomon Tharp, Andrew Irwin. Said Jesse Pope reserved
the use of the land for himself during his lifetime. Wit: John Batts, John
Swales. Nov Court 1783. Edward Hall CC.

Ref #1: Lineage Book, Daughters of the American Revolutions. Vol 145, p. 267,
pg. 4
Ref #2: Edmondson Ancestors & Descendants, Chapter 6: Pope-McKinnee, p. 59-60
and attached will of Jesse Pope.
Ref #3: The Hills of Wilkes Co, GA and Allied Families, Vol. 2, p. 642.
Contribution by Mrs. Mildred Ezell, From the estate records and other sources.

Ref #4: Edgecombe Co, NC Abstracts of Court Minutes, 1744-1762.

Ref #5: Edgecombe Co., NC Deeds, Vol I-III: 1759-1886
Abstracted by Dr. Stephen E. Bradley Jr.

This thread: