PORTUGAL-L Archives

Archiver > PORTUGAL > 1998-06 > 0898974392

From: Bob and Eugenia Rapasky <>
Subject: [PORTUGAL-L] Portuguese Names and Their Meanings
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:06:32 -0700

Notice an interest in the following names:
Guimaraes, Mota, Ormonde, Samagaio, Serpa and Soeiro:
Guimaraes -

Guimaraes is a town in mainland Portugal.
Information is from:
AH de Oliveira Marques, HISTORY OF PORTUGAL, Columbia University Press,
1972, page 166.

Guimaraes is a family name in the Azores.
Information is from:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 208.

Guimaraes this is a surname commonly used in Portuguese and Brazilian
Portuguese.
Information is from:
BASIC PORTUGUESE PALEOGRAPHY, The Genealogical Department of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Series II, No.: 20, 1978, page 27.
Ormonde -

Ormonde is a family name in the Azores.
Information is from:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 222.

Ormonde is a family name of an early immigrant to California.
Information is from:
Carlos Almeida, PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANTS, Published by the Supreme Council
of UPEC, San Leandro, CA 1978.
Samagaio -

Samagaio is a family name in the Azores.
Information is from:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 232.
Serpa -

Serpa, de Serpa, Cerpa
Information is from:
Doug da Rocha Holmes, NAMING TRADITIONS, SURNAME TYPES, OProgresso,
Dece. 1995, Vol. 14, No.: 4, page 9 and 10.

Serpa, de Serpa - from a location near Beja in Southern Portugal.
The surname, Serpa, is a toponymics (Surames indicating a location). In
the 12th century, the noble classes are using a location to help
identify people.
Information is from:
Doug da Rocha Holmes, NAMING TRADITIONS, SURNAME TYPES, OProgresso,
Dece. 1995, Vol. 14, No.: 4, page 9.

Serpa is a family name in the Azores.
Information is from:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 234.

Serpa is a surname commonly used in Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.
Information is from:
BASIC PORTUGUESE PALEOGRAPHY, The Genealogical Department of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Series II, No.: 20, 1978, page 27.

Portuguese Explorer:
Major Serpa Pinto, (Portugal) crosses Africa twice (1878-1885).
Information is from:
NEW ERA ATLAS OF THE WORLD, CS Hammond and Co, Inc., NY 1940, page 159.

Serpa Pinto (Portugal) Corssed the Africa's continent from Angola to
Mozambique in 1877.
Information is from:
WORLD ATLAS, Rand McNally and Co., NY, 1956, page 160.
Soeiro -

Soeiro is a family name in the Azores.
Information is from:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 235.

Soeiro this is a surname commonlyused in Portuguese and Brazilina
Portuguese.
Information is from:
BASIC PORTUGUESE PALEOGRAPHY, The Genealogical Department of the Church
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Series II, No.: 20, 1978, page 27.

Soeiro - Soeiro Alvares, was a member of King Joo I (1385-1488) court.
Information is from:
James H. Guill, A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS, Golden Shield
International, Vol. 5, 1993, page 54.

Soeiro in the 1440s was the first regular trading post on the island of
Arguim (20.5N) off of Africa. A Soeiro Mendes de Evora directed the
building of a castle there.
Information is from:
AH de Oliveira Marques, HISTORY OF PORTUGAL, Columbia University Press,
1972, page 160.

The town of Casal do Soeiro, is in the district of Leiria, Portugal.
Information is from:
SPAIN PORTUGAL, American Map Corporation, Maspeth, NY, 1996, page 196.
We hope these names have been helpful to you. If you see something that
needs to be corrected, please let us know.

Currently doing research on several names, have over 6,000 Portuguese
names have been collected.

My history: Eugenia (Paine) Rapasky,
my mother, is Portuguese. my grandmother's surname: DECOSTA was from
Sao Jorge, Azores, Portugal and my grandfather's surname: RODRIGUES is
from Santa Barbara, Pico, Azores, Portugal.

my father, is English/French.

The research and collection is put together in memory of my grandparents
who came to America in the early 1900s, with a few belongings and dream
in their hearts. They could not read or write in Portuguese. They made
their home in Tracy, San Joaquin Co, California, USA

This thread: