PORTUGAL-L Archives

Archiver > PORTUGAL > 2000-07 > 0964680420

From: João Diogo de Menezes e Alarcão de Carvalho Branco <>
Subject: RE: [PORTUGAL-L] Nobreza de Portugal e Espanha
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 07:47:00 +0100

Dear Doug

Some informations more :

1- Pinto Basto

O Teodoro Ferreira Pinto Basto, is born 6.1.1805 and he died 11.3.1883 is
gone to Englad to work with his oncle João Ferreira Pinto Basto, and he
represented there the Companhia dos Vinhos do Alto Douro.
He was the first son of José Ferreira Pinto Basto, born. Porto, 16.9.1774
and died Lisboa,23.9.1839, Cavaleiro da Ordem de Cristo em 1803, and some
years latter, 1825, Comendador of the same Order, also Comendador da Ordem
de Nª Srª da Conceição de Vila Viçosa(1819), Fidalgo Cavaleiro da Casa
Real, in 8.2.1826, and Fidalgo da Cota de Armas, in 12.9.1818,( Escudo
partido de Ferreira e Pinto, etc., married with D.Bárbara Inocência
Felicidade Allen, born Viana do Castelo, 16.5.1783, died in Lisboa
19.9.1858, daughter of Duarte Guilherme Allen, British Consul in Viana, and
his wifw D.Joana Josefa Doroteia Felicidade Mazza.
José was son, also the first, of Domingos José Ferreira Pinto(Basto), born
in Abadim, Cabeceiras de Basto, and died Porto in August 1820, who married
in that city at 30.11.1773 with D.Maria do Amor Divino da Costa.
Domingos adopted the name Basto that he increased to Ferreira Pinto because
of the land were he, and his ancestors, borned. This is a phenomenon that
hapened many times, in diferent times, with persons that have born in the
Terras de Basto( Mondim, Celorico e Cabeceiras ).
Domingos was son of Manuel Ferreira Pinto, died in Abadim 22.11.1783,and
Jerónima Alves born Abadim 1698 and died 27.1.1781.
Certanly the book of Carlos Bobone(he is Carlos, not Campus, and is the
author)give some more details about ,because his grand mother was also Pinto
Basto, but i dont have his book here.
I even dont know were Teodoro is born in London, just the names of the
parents of his wife Richard and Jeronima Nicholson.
But now that our good friend and co-lister D.Fernando returned may be he can
saw that informations.

2- Arriaga e Cunha

You are quite right about the azorian roots (Fayal ) of Eduardo's mother.
The parents of Eduardo's mother were de 2nd Condes de Carnide, José Street
de Arriaga e Cunha and D.Maria Teresa VanZeller de Castro Pereira( grand
daughter of Rodrigo Delfim Pereira, the son of the Imperador D.Pedro I of
Brasil and of the Marquesa de Santos, D.Maria Benedita de Castro do Canto e
Melo).
His grand father, the 1st Count ( and 2nd Viscount) of Carnide, Guilherme
Street de Arriaga e Cunha, married with D.Sofia Ferrari Schindler, was son
of the 1rst Viscount, José Street de Arriaga Brum da Silveira (1805-1885),
married in London in 1833 with D.Joane Caroline Shearman.
And the 1rst Viscount was son of Guilherme Street de Arriaga Brum da
Silveira Cunha, Coronel das Miliícias e Governador do Faial e Pico, e de sua
mulher e prima D.Maria Bárbara Street de Arriaga Mesquita, ambos
descendentes de Guilherme Street casado no Faial em 1745 with D.Bárbara
Naudin de Arriaga.
Certenly you know better then me their ascendency by Arriagas and Streets,
but, as you know, they were not Cunhas. Cunha was the name of a brasilian
aunt who leaves all his fortune to them.Recently Eduardo Arantes e Oliveira
wrote in Armas e Troféus, the Instituto Português de Heráldica's magazine an
interesting article about the Lisboas, of Baía, one of them married with one
uncle of mine, Maurício Carvalho da Cunha, about whom Francisco Doria give
me the contacts in the Arquivo da Baía.

3- Custance an Barbosa de Brito
A data correcta do casamento em S.Pedro de Alcantar do Eduardo Ferreira
Pinto Basto com Lucy Custance is 25 April 1863, but, unfortunately, i dont
have more details about this branch and i just think to go to the Torre do
Tombo next month.

If i know somethig more i will send you and dont be worry about the
surprise.
Abraços
João Alarcão