PORTUGAL-L Archives

Archiver > PORTUGAL > 2001-12 > 1007608692

From: "Ana Ghia-Pereira" <>
Subject: Re: [PORTUGAL-L] Portuguese Dessert
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 19:18:12 -0800

Hi Phyllis
What you are talking about is "Aletria Doce" which translated means Sweet
Angel Hair Pasta. Aletria, pronounced <A-leh-tri-ah>, is the name given in
Portuguese to the very thin pasta which we call here angel-hair pasta. It
is made by cooking the pasta in milk and then sweetening it with sugar and
adding egg-yolks. Then you pour the whole thing in a large plate and dust
with cinnamon. We make it similar to the Portuguese rice pudding, using
pasta instead of rice. Your grandmother also sprinkled sugar on top, mine
did not.

Here is the recipe, which was taken from the cookbook "Cozinha Tradicional
Portuguesa" (Traditional Portuguese Cookery) by Maria de Lourdes Modesto, a
famous Portuguese chef. I have the 4th edition, printed in 1983. This book
was translated into English (my cousin has the English edition) but I don't
know if it is still available or not. In the book, we are told that this
dessert originated in the north of Portugal region of Minho and Douro, but
today, like rice pudding, it is made everywhere.

Aletria com Ovos (Angel-hair pasta with eggs)

100 gr. angel-hair pasta (abt. 3 1/2 oz.)
4 deciliters milk (2 cups)
150 gr. sugar (3/4 cup)
50 gr. butter (abt. 1/4 cup)
3 egg-yolks
1 piece lemon rind with no white pith
ground cinnamon

Bring water to a boil and add the angel-hair pasta. Let cook for 5 minutes.
Take out of the burner and drain the pasta. Add the milk, the sugar, the
lemon rind to the pasta and let simmer until the pasta is cooked. While the
pasta simmers, put the egg-yolks in a small container and mix them well.
Once the "aletria" is cooked, take the pan out of the stove, remove the
lemon rind and add the butter. Mix just enough to melt the butter. Add a
portion of the "aletria" mixture to the egg-yolks and mix. Then pour the
egg-yolk mixture back into the pan, mix well, and put it back on the burner,
for a little while just to cook the egg-yolks. The mixture should thicken a
bit but not boil.

Pour the mixture in a large dish and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.

You can re-arrange the portions a bit. If you find that the "aletria" made
with this recipe continues to be soft after being cold, which means they
will not hold the pie-shaped form once cut, feel free to reduce the milk or
add another egg-yolk, until you have what your grandmother used to cook.

Enjoy
Ana