POSEN-L Archives

Archiver > POSEN > 1999-06 > 0930447532

From: =James Birkholz= <>
Subject: [POSEN-L] Re: Posen Villages
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 20:38:52 -0500

Renee, I'm replying to the list, because others may have interests in some
of these towns...

According to Meyers gazetteer...

Buchwerder, village of 389 residents, Kreis Czarnikau, Posen.
Civil reg. office was in Hammer.
Buchwerder was across the Netze river from Czarnikau and a little
downstream. Hammer was to the northeast.

Hammer, village of 1119 residents & noble's estate of 208 residents, Kreis
Czarnikau, Posen.
It had its own: civil reg. office; Protestant church; cement factory and
limeworks; distillery; mill and brickworks. The estate was on the north
side of the village, across the Hammer stream, which flowed southeast past
Sandkrug and into the Netze. The colony Radosiew belonged to the Hammer
estate and had 33 residents. This colony was just south of Buchwerder, on
the north bluff overlooking the Netze floodplain.

Sophienberg, village of 482 residents, Kreis Czarnikau, Posen.
Civil reg. office was in Czarnikau.
Sophienberg was just upstream from (east of) the colony Radosiew, also
lining the bluff, directly south of Hammer and a little downstream from
directly across from Czarnikau.

Radosiew, village of 211 residents, Kreis Czarnikau, Posen.
Civil reg. office was in Hammer.
The village of Radosiew was about 6 km north of the colony ('Kolonie') of
Radosiew, about 2 km northwest of and upstream of Hammer.

Radolin, village of 595 residents, Kreis Czarnikau, Posen.
Civil reg. office was in Behle.
It had its own: Protestant church and a bank.
Radolin was the furthest upstream of these communities, about 7 km NNE of
Hammer, and the site of the next bridge across the Netze upstream from the
one at Czarnikau.

Romanshof (one 'f' in Meyers) consisted of two villages (Ober Gemeinde with
839 residents & Unter Gemeinde with 1027 residents), Kreis Czarnikau, Posen.
It had its own: civil reg. office; Protestant church and a mill.
Romanshoff lined about 7 km of the bluff of the east bend of the Netze,
just north of Czarnikau.

All of these communities had forest behind them.
The current names are:
Buchwerder = Bukowiec
Hammer = Kuz~nica Czarnkowska
Sophienberg = Zofiowo
Radosiew (colony) = Lisia Go~ra
Radolin = Radolin
Romanshof = Romanowo Grn. (Ober) & Dln. (Unter)

Hope this helps,
James Birkholz,

{Rootsweb supporter}

========== This information extracted from: ===========
"Meyers Orts- & Verkehrs- Lexikon des Deutschen Reichs - 1912"
info: http://www.flash.net/~birchwd/Genealogy/GGRA/Resources/Meyers.html
========= (Civil reg. offices started about 1874) ========

At 11:48 AM -0500 6/26/99, wrote:
>Hello James,
>
>We are going to visit Germany/Poland soon and I am interested in getting more
>info on Buchwerder, Hammer, Sophienberg, Radosiew, Radolin and Romanshoff,
>all in the Czarnikau Kreis/ Netzekreis areas of Posen. Does the Meyer's
>Gazetteer list data on these villages? I thank you in advance for any help
>or information you would share.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Renee Ponto in Minnesota

This thread: