POSEN-L Archives

Archiver > POSEN > 2004-04 > 1082652626

From: "Jay and Diana" <>
Subject: RE: [POSEN] Schokken/Budzyn (PRIEBE/BREDOW), evangelical churches north of Posen
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:50:26 -0700

Steffen: Regarding your second question, you can use
www.kartenmeister.com to see where the local parish was (ca 1900) for
most towns. Each of the four towns you listed had their own Lutheran
parish. You can also purchase a map of the area on the site. Some areas
have a 1:25,000 map and all have a 1:100,000 map. These are not
inexpensive, but they have a great deal of detail, including rr lines,
where churches were located, streams, guts, etc. To see the master map
of areas covered:
http://www.posselt-landkarten.de/uebersichtsblaetter_index.htm Click on
the lower right section for the area you are searching. It would be maps
55 and 58 which cover your area. This is not representative of the maps
you get. It is a skeleton just showing the area covered with a town in
each grid for orientation, and the names on the grids do not necessarily
reflect the kreis.

I don't know of any on-line maps of Posen Province which show the
location of churches, but the David Rumsey collection of historical maps
is a good reference for the larger towns and villages:
http://www.davidrumsey.com/
They have several maps for the Posen area (listed under Germany-Poland)
for the mid-1800s.

Diana Grzelak Needham

There is always a song for those who wish to sing

BREDOW /