POSEN-L Archives

Archiver > POSEN > 2005-02 > 1108291796

From: "Matthias Theiner" <>
Subject: Draft Card Information - Social Security Card Info - Census Info
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:49:56 +0100

Hi Diana,

thanks for the link to ancestry.com and their draft card
database for WWI. I hadn't considered this option for
getting additional information about my mother's uncle
- Frederick E. Sommers (F.E. Sommees - born in Dallas,
TX - lived in New York and died in Hollywood, CA.

I found his registration card but I was again puzzled
about the information that was given there. Name,
occupation, birthplace and signature fit but d.o.b.
does not.

So I have a question that you or other listers might
be able to answer. How accurate is the information
on these cards?

For my mother's uncle I have the following data:
* Dec. 6, 1890 in Dallas TX
(as stated on the copy of his social security card
[same signature as on the draft card] and the
certificate of death from the City of Los Angeles)

But this information varies considerably from other
documents that I now have:
draft card: different d.o.b.: Dec. 1, 1888
1920 census (New York): different age
1930 census (California): again different age

Was such a practice quite common or is this
simply an exception? What about giving correct
information?

Comments welcome.

Matt E. Theiner