POTTS-L Archives

Archiver > POTTS > 2009-03 > 1236471538

Subject: Re: [POTTS] Update to POTTS Surname Database
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 19:18:58 EST

Hi Glenda,

I have connection to William Potts and Margaret Purviance. Do you have any
of the following information?
Virgil Potts is my great grandfather.

Descendants of William POTTS - 7 Mar 2009
-

FIRST GENERATION

1. William POTTS1,2,3,4 was born on 27 Jun 1763 in Rowan Co.,North Carolina
?. He died on 27 Oct 1828 in Nicholas County, Kentucky ?. William Potts,
son of Henry and Margaret Potts, married Margaret Purviance. About the year
1795, he removed with his family from Iredell County, North Carolina, to
Nicholas County, Kentucky, here he and each of his sons acquired considerable
estates. (Info received from Allen Potts -
(mailto:) )

He was married to Margaret PURVIANCE on 23 May 1787 in Rowan Co.,North
Carolina. Margaret PURVIANCE3 was born on 27 Jun 1763 in Rowan (Iredell) Co.,
North Carolina. She died on 27 Jan 1837 in Nicholas County, Kentucky. She was
buried in Shiloh Cemetery, Nicholas County, Kentucky. William POTTS and
Margaret PURVIANCE had the following children:

+2 i. Priscilla POTTS.
+3 ii. Henry Tennan POTTS.
4 iii. Sarah POTTS3 was born on 1 Jan 1793 in Iredell Co., North Carolina ?.
+5 iv. James Purviance POTTS.
+6 v. Margaret POTTS.
+7 vi. William POTTS.
8 vii. Jesse POTTS3 was born on 26 Jun 1803 in Kentucky ?.

SECOND GENERATION

2. Priscilla POTTS3 was born on 15 May 1788 in Iredell Co., North Carolina
?.

She was married to John SWINNY/SWEENEY on 24 Nov 1803 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.

3. Henry Tennan POTTS1,3 was born on 4 Sep 1790 in Iredell Co., North
Carolina ?. He was buried in 1871 in Shiloh Cemetery, Nicholas County, Kentucky.3
He died on 24 Dec 1871 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

He was married to Sarah ARCHER in 1812 in North Carolina ?. Henry Tennan
POTTS and Sarah ARCHER had the following children:

+9 i. John Archer POTTS.

He was married to Izza HAZELRIGG on 13 Apr 1815 in Bath Co., Kentucky.
Henry Tennan POTTS and Izza HAZELRIGG had the following children:

10 i. America Frances POTTS was born on 30 Apr 1816. She died on 18 Sep
1839.
+11 ii. Jesse Purviance POTTS.
+12 iii. James Hazelrigg POTTS.
+13 iv. Joshua Graham POTTS.
14 v. William Henry POTTS was born on 2 Dec 1826. He died ?.

He was married to Liza HARNEY on 24 Apr 1829 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
Henry Tennan POTTS and Liza HARNEY had the following children:

15 i. Oliver Stout POTTS was born on 18 Feb 1831. He died ?.
16 ii. Izza Margaret POTTS was born on 24 Oct 1833. She died on 8 Apr 1841.

He was married to Lorana ALEXANDER on 29 Oct 1852 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. Lorana ALEXANDER was born on 17 Oct 1813. She died on 8 Jan 1887.
Henry Tennan POTTS and Lorana ALEXANDER had the following children:

+17 i. Charles Barnes POTTS.
+18 ii. Jesse Berry POTTS.
19 iii. Garrett Davis POTTS was born on 4 Jul 1841. He died on 4 Jul 1884.
20 iv. Robert Hall POTTS was born on 23 May 1843. He died on 18 Nov 1888.
+21 v. Sarah Ann POTTS.
+22 vi. Lee Taylor POTTS.
+23 vii. Martha Sophia POTTS.
24 viii. Nelson Franklin POTTS was born on 29 Oct 1852. He died on 9 Jan
1922.
25 ix. Tilford Truman POTTS was born on 3 Oct 1855. He died on 13 Oct 1865.

5. James Purviance POTTS3 was born on 15 Jul 1795 in Iredell Co., North
Carolina ?. He died on 30 Apr 1864 in Nicholas County, Kentucky. He was buried
in Shiloh Cemetery, Nicholas County, Kentucky.

He was married to Jane RITCHEY on 12 Apr 1821 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.3
Jane RITCHEY3 was born in 1804. She died in 1864. James Purviance POTTS
and Jane RITCHEY had the following children:

+26 i. William Ritchey POTTS.
27 ii. Nancy POTTS3.
28 iii. Almarinda POTTS3.
29 iv. Sallie A. POTTS3.
30 v. Liza POTTS3.
31 vi. Leah POTTS3.
32 vii. Henry POTTS3.
33 viii. James POTTS3.
34 ix. Margaret POTTS3.

6. Margaret POTTS3 was born on 14 Feb 1798 in Kentucky or Irdell Co., North
Carolina.

7. William POTTS3 was born on 5 Sep 1800 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

William POTTS and Almira HALL had the following children:

+35 i. Robert W. POTTS.
36 ii. Jesse Thompson POTTS was born on 23 May 1832 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.
37 iii. Mary F. POTTS was born on 14 Nov 1833 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
38 iv. Sarah Jane POTTS was born on 23 Nov 1835 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
39 v. Margaret P. (Maggie) POTTS was born on 7 Jun 1838 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.
+40 vi. Walter S. POTTS.
41 vii. Harrison W. POTTS was born about 1840 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
42 viii. Nancy T. POTTS was born about 1842 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
43 ix. Henry T. POTTS was born on 15 Feb 1842 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
44 x. Susan A. POTTS was born on 28 Aug 1844 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
45 xi. Almira POTTS was born about 1845 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
46 xii. Cynthia A. POTTS was born on 23 Jul 1847 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.

THIRD GENERATION

9. John Archer POTTS was born on 31 Aug 1813. He died on 20 Oct 1867.

He was married to Sarah E. CALDWELL on 12 Oct 1834 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.

He was married to Catherine KERN on 28 Jan 1858 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.5

11. Jesse Purviance POTTS.

Jesse Purviance POTTS and Jane RITCHIE had the following children:

47 i. Nancy POTTS was born about 1821 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
48 ii. Margaret POTTS was born about 1823 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
49 iii. Liza POTTS was born about 1826 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
50 iv. William R. POTTS was born about 1828 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
51 v. Sallie A. (Sally( POTTS was born about 1830 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.
52 vi. Almarinda/Almirinda POTTS was born on 16 Nov 1834 in Moorefield,
Nicholas Co., Kentucky.
53 vii. Alexander POTTS was born about 1835 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
54 viii. Henry POTTS was born about 1838 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
55 ix. James POTTS was born about 1842 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
56 x. Leah N. POTTS was born about 1845 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

12. James Hazelrigg POTTS was born on 5 Jun 1821. He died on 31 Oct 1882.

13. Joshua Graham POTTS was born on 20 Apr 1824. He died on 5 Mar 1915.

17. Charles Barnes POTTS1 was born on 8 Nov 1837 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. He died on 27 May 1899 in Boone Co., Missouri. He Obituary printed on 9
Jun 1899 in The Columbia Missouri Herald. Death of C.B. Potts. Charles B.
Potts was born in Nicholas county, Kentucky, November 8, 1837, and died May
27, 1899, aged 61 years, 6 months and 19 days.

He leaves a wife and seven children to mourn his death. He was a kind
father and a loving husband, always that he could.

He died of cancer of the stomach from which he suffered for five months, but
he bore his suffering remarkably well, only praying that he might die easy.
His mind was clear up to the very last. Realizing that death was near, he
said, "Now let me die." His funeral was preached at Mt. Zion church by Rev.
Mr. Lewellen in the presence of a large concourse of friends and neighbors.

We miss thee from our home dear Father,
We miss thee from thy place.
A shadow o'er our life is cast,
We miss the sunshine of thy face.
We miss thy kind and willing hand,
Thy fond and earnest care.
Our home is dark without thee,
We miss thee every where.

He was married to Louvenia K. ALLEN. Louvenia K. ALLEN was born on 1 Dec
1837.6 She died on 5 Sep 1915.6 She Obituary printed on 7 Sep 1915 in
Columbia Daily Tribune - page 2. MRS. L. K. POTTS DEAD. Passed Away at Home of
Daughter in Centralia Monday Morning. Mrs. L.K. Potts died Monday morning at
home of her daughter, Mrs. Sarah Benton, at 10 o'clock, in Centralia.

The deceased was 78 years of age and is survived by four sons, who are:
T.T., Frank, E.H. and Virgil Potts, and two daughters, Mrs. Millard M. Turner,
and Sarah Denton, all of whom live in Boone county.

The funeral was preached at the home in Centralia this morining and
interment took place at Mount Zion cemetery, fifteen miles northeast of Columbia,
where a short service took place at the grave. Charles Barnes POTTS and
Louvenia K. ALLEN had the following children:

+57 i. Virgil POTTS.
58 ii. Bruce POTTS was born in 1864. He died on 25 Jan 1880.6
"aged 16 yr., 11 mo., 13 da." He Obituary printed on 5 Mar 1880 in Columbia
Missouri Statesmen - pafe 3, column 6. POTTS -- In Boone county, Mo., Jan
25th 1880, Bruce Potts aged 16 years, 11 months and 14 days. He was buried in
Mt. Zion Cemetery, Missouri.
+59 iii. Emma S. POTTS.
+60 iv. Tilford T. POTTS.
+61 v. Lizzie POTTS.
+62 vi. Frank POTTS.
+63 vii. Edward A. POTTS.
+64 viii. Katharine Lou "Kate" POTTS.

18. Jesse Berry POTTS was born on 30 Aug 1839. He died on 29 Apr 1888.

Jesse Berry POTTS and Lydia had the following children:

65 i. Franklin POTTS was born about 1876 in Nicholas County, Kentucky ?.

21. Sarah Ann POTTS was born on 7 Sep 1845. She died on 23 Dec 1886.

She was married to John KARNES (son of Thomas KARNES and Elizabeth VANCLIEF)
on 25 Jun 1863.7 John KARNES was born 1838 Apr 18. History of Boone
County, MO p.1124-25

Biography of John Karnes

"The subject of this sketch is a native of Boone County, Missouri. He is
the son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Vanclief) KARNES, and was born April 18, 1838.
Both his parents were natives of the Old Dominion. His maternal relatives
were of Holland origin, and related to the Van Burens, of New York, one of
whom, Martin Van Buren, was President of the United State. Thomas Karnes and
Elizabeth Vanclief were married in Virginia in 1832, and came to Boone County
three years later. They settled on the head of the two-mile prairie, being
among the first settlers of that neighborhood. Mrs. Karnes died in 1867, and
Mr. Karnes in 1876. They were buried at Mt. Zion Church, Rocky Fork
township. They were both members of the Methodist Church South. Four children were
born to them, allof whom are now living. Harvey, the oldest, is at Eureka
Springs, Arkansas; Robert Payne lives on the old farm in Columbia township;
john, the subject of this sketch, lives in Rocky Fork township; Joseph Vanclief
is practicing law in Kansas City. John Karnes was married, June 25, 1863,.
to Miss Sarah A. Potts of Nicholas County, Kentucky. She is the daughter of
Henry T. and Lorana Potts. Her father died in 1875. Her mother is still
lliving in Kentucky. Eight children have been born of this marriage, three sons
and five daughters. Their names are Jennie, Mattie, David C., Payne, Lorana,
FAnnie, Charles T. and Mary. David C. is dead. He was buried with his
grandparents at Mt. Zion. Mr. Karnes has lived in Boone County all his life.
He was educated at the State University at Columbia, and studied law, but
never practiced his profession. He has a fine farm of three hundred and twenty
acres, six miles south of Centrallia, which is his post office and shipping
point. The farm is all in cultivation and is well improved. Mr. and Mrs.
Karnes are both members of the Methodist Church South. They worship with the Mt.
Zion congregation." Sarah Ann POTTS and John KARNES had the following
children:

66 i. Jennie KARNES.
67 ii. David C. KARNES was buried in Mt. Zion Cemetery.
68 iii. Payne KARNES.
69 iv. Lorana KARNES.
70 v. Fannie KARNES.
71 vi. Charles T. KARNES.
72 vii. Mary KARNES.

22. Lee Taylor POTTS was born on 4 Nov 1847. He died in 1943.

He was married to Tabitha DONNELL on 5 May 1870.3 Lee Taylor POTTS and
Tabitha DONNELL had the following children:

73 i. Henry M. POTTS was born about 1871 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
74 ii. Edna S./Edna L. POTTS was born about 1876 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.

23. Martha Sophia POTTS was born on 7 Jan 1850. She died in 1934.

She was married to Charles DONNELL on 1 Sep 1870.3

26. William Ritchey POTTS3 was born on 25 Apr 1828 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.3 He was buried in 1883 in Carlisle, Nicholas Co., Kentucky.3 He died
on 18 May 1883 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.3

He was married to Mary Elizabeth POWELL on 9 Mar 1854 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky.8 by L G Hicks at William Powell's, witnessess were David Trimbo and
Caleb Baird Mary Elizabeth POWELL3 was born on 15 Nov 1834 in Nicholas
County, Kentucky.3 She died on 8 Jun 1875 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.3 "could
neither read nor write." William Ritchey POTTS and Mary Elizabeth POWELL had
the following children:

75 i. Thomas Warren POTTS3,9 was born on 15 Mar 1855 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. He died on 24 Jul 1910 in Kansas City, Kansas.
76 ii. Sarah (Sallie) POTTS3,9 was born on 10 Apr 1857 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. She died on 30 Mar 1864 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
77 iii. Emma A. POTTS3,9 was born on 14 Feb 1860 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. She died in 1945.
78 iv. James Lee POTTS3,9 was born on 9 Apr 1863 in Moorefield, Nicholas
Co., Kentucky. He died on 6 Jan 1918 in Grayson, Carter Co., Kentucky.
79 v. Anna Lida POTTS3,9 was born on 6 Apr 1866 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. She died on 12 Feb 1889.
80 vi. June POTTS3,9 was born on 19 Mar 1869 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.
She was buried in Mar 1892 in city cemetery in Carlisle, Nicholas Co.,
Kentucky. She died on 1 Mar 1892 in Carlisle, Nicholas Co., Kentucky.
+81 vii. Lela (Leila) Bell POTTS.
82 viii. William Reynolds POTTS3 was buried in 1875 in city cemetery in
Carlisle, Nicholas Co., Kentucky. He was born on 4 Jun 1875 in Nicholas County,
Kentucky. He died on 29 Jun 1875 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

35. Robert W. POTTS was born on 15 Feb 1830 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

Robert W. POTTS and Grizzella BURNS had the following children:

83 i. William Wesley POTTS was born on 15 Sep 1856.

40. Walter S. POTTS was born on 9 Mar 1840 in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

Walter S. POTTS and Mary F. HERNDON had the following children:

84 i. Miranda H. POTTS was born on 4 Jun 1882.

Prepared by:
Candace Austin
488 Minot Ave
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(mailto:)

SOURCES

1. Robinson, Mrs. Willis F. (Ruby).
2. Thomas Maxwell Potts. The Potts Family In Great Britain and America.
page 377.
3. Talbott, Bruce H. ( (mailto:) ).
4. Joan Weissinger conley. History of Nicholas County. Nicholas County
Historical Socity, Inc., Carlisle, Kentucky, 1976.
5. Nicholas County, Kentucky Marriage Book. Page 50.
6. Cemetery Records of Boone County, Missouri, Vol. III, Compiled by:
Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, Box 206, Chillicothe, Missouri.
7. p. 704 from 1882 History of Boone County, Missouri. p. 1125" 1882
History of Boone County, Missouri".
8. Nicholas County, Kentucky Marriage Book.
9. Bible belonging to William R. Potts (1870).

In a message dated 3/7/2009 7:38:22 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

In a message dated 3/6/2009 12:50:34 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> I am still working on my Samuel Potts and wife Martha Baker family history
> and have put it on Rootsweb.com. However, I realize that I missed some of
the
> lines and need to add them. [ A Samuel Potts was born in Colebrookdale in
> 1736, son of John Potts and Ruth Savage. He married Joanna Holland. A
Samuel
> Nutt Potts was born to Thomas Potts and Anna Nutt in Philadelphia in 1770.

> They, however descend from Thomas Potts of Colebrookdale, PA. NOT from
Thomas
> Maxwell Potts .] I've reexamined all my early research notes and have put
> aside the idea that my Samuel Potts was born in PA, as handed down in
family
> tradition. I have forever suspected that he was kin to William Nelson
Potts
> and his wife Margaret Purviance of Rowan Co., NC and Nicholas Co., KY.
And