POWELL-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > POWELL-DNA > 2009-02 > 1235853690

From: <>
Subject: Re: [POWELL-DNA] I need some advice
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:41:30 -0500

Good afternoon, Mary.

Thank you. I am convinced that you are correct, and I am wrong. It also clears up some puzzles in my head. For example, my mother remembered George Washington Powell, though not well. That makes sense in your genealogy. She would have been about 8 years old when he died.

You do not list my grandfather's sister, Sue, whom I met several times during visits to Florida. She and my mother were fairly close. I think that they were not all that far apart in age, though I do not know her birth date. (My mother was born 10 Dec. 1912.) You list Lewis Thornton's wife as "M. E. ?" According to my mother in an oral history that she gave my daughter, that would have been Etta Culpepper. I do not know whether or not she is related to Susan Culpepper. According to my mother there was a major scandal over the marriage, though she did not know what it was. Perhaps the relationship was too close for comfort.

Do you know how the line descends from William Marshall Powell? If not, I can easily supply a fair amount of that information.

Ken Collier
---- Mary Esther Raker <> wrote:

=============
Below is the attachment.

Descendants of George Cader Powell

Generation One

1. George Cader1 Powell was born on December 13, 1809 at Burke
County, Georgia. He married Patience C. Powell at Talbot County, Georgia,
on May 23, 1830. He died in November, 1881 at West Apopka, Orange County,
Florida, at age 71.
Children of George Cader1 Powell and Patience C. Powell were as
follows:
2i.Benjamin2 Powell was born circa 1833 at
Georgia.
3ii.Mary Powell was born circa 1835 at Georgia.
She married James Newman circa 1850.
+ 4iii.George Washington Powell was born on January
17, 1837 at Talbot County, Georgia. He married Susan Culpepper at Worth
County, Georgia, on January 4, 1857. He died on June 8, 1923 at
Brooksville, Hernando County, Florida, at age 86. He was buried after June
8, 1923 at Spring Hill Cemetery, Brooksville, Hernando County, Florida.
5iv.Oliver Powell was born circa 1840 at
Alabama.
6v.Lydia Powell was born circa 1842 at Alabama.
7vi.Lewis Thornton Powell was born on April 22,
1844 at Alabama. He died on July 7, 1865 at age 21. He was buried after
July 7, 1865 at Geneva Cemetery, Geneva, Seminole County, Florida.
+ 8vii.Angeline Powell was born circa 1846 at
Alabama. She married William P. Lassiter at Orange County, Florida, on
September 15, 1869.
+ 9viii.Minerva A. Powell was born in November, 1849
at Georgia. She married Isaiah D. Hart at Orange County, Florida, on March
13, 1870. She died on June 13, 1904 at age 54. She was buried after June
13, 1904 at Geneva Cemetery, Geneva, Seminole County, Florida.
10ix.Ann Powell was born circa 1850 at Georgia.

Generation Two

4. George Washington2 Powell (George1) was born on January 17,
1837 at Talbot County, Georgia. He married Susan Culpepper at Worth County,
Georgia, on January 4, 1857. He died on June 8, 1923 at Brooksville,
Hernando County, Florida, at age 86. He was buried after June 8, 1923 at
Spring Hill Cemetery, Brooksville, Hernando County, Florida.
Children of George Washington2 Powell and Susan Culpepper all
born at Florida were as follows:
11i.Benjamin3 Powell was born circa 1858.
12ii.Caroline Powell was born circa 1861.
+ 13iii.Lewis Thornton Powell was born on April 24,
1861. He married M. E. (--?--) circa 1881. He married Carrie E. (--?--)
circa 1910. He died on January 14, 1933 at age 71.
14iv.Oliver H. Powell was born circa 1863.
15v.Susan Powell was born circa 1865.
16vi.Mathew Powell was born circa 1867.

8. Angeline2 Powell (George1) was born circa 1846 at Alabama.
She married William P. Lassiter at Orange County, Florida, on September 15,
1869.
Children of Angeline2 Powell and William P. Lassiter all born
at Florida were as follows:
17i.Jane3 Lassiter was born circa 1870.
18ii.J. F. Lassiter was born circa 1877.
19iii.Oscar C. Lassiter was born circa 1879.

9. Minerva A.2 Powell (George1) was born in November, 1849 at
Georgia. She married Isaiah D. Hart at Orange County, Florida, on March 13,
1870. She died on June 13, 1904 at age 54. She was buried after June 13,
1904 at Geneva Cemetery, Geneva, Seminole County, Florida.
Children of Minerva A.2 Powell and Isaiah D. Hart both born at
Florida were as follows:
20i.Eli Daniel3 Hart was born in 1870. He died
on October 8, 1943 at Seminole County, Florida. He was buried after October
8, 1943 at Geneva Cemetery, Geneva, Seminole County, Florida.
21ii.Mary Caroline Hart was born circa 1872.

Generation Three

13. Lewis Thornton3 Powell (George2, George1) was born on
April 24, 1861 at Florida. He married M. E. (--?--) circa 1881. He married
Carrie E. (--?--) circa 1910. He died on January 14, 1933 at Fort Myers,
Lee County, Florida, at age 71.
Children of Lewis Thornton3 Powell and M. E. (--?--) were as
follows:
22i.William M.4 Powell was born circa 1882 at
Florida.
23ii.Arthur W. Powell was born circa 1884 at
Florida.
+ 24iii.Benjamin Cader Powell was born on June 16,
1889 at Brooksville, Hernando County, Florida. He married Jossie (--?--)
circa 1915. He died in November, 1960 at Dade County, Florida, at age 71.
25iv.Robert B. Powell was born circa 1892 at
Florida.
26v.Lewis Leroy Powell was born on January 2,
1894 at Fort Myers, Lee County, Florida.
27vi.Irving C. Powell was born circa 1896 at
Florida.
28vii.Elmer K. Powell was born circa 1900 at
Florida.
29viii.Edna E. Powell was born circa 1903 at
Florida.
There were no children of Lewis Thornton3 Powell and Carrie E.
(--?--).

Generation Four

24. Benjamin Cader4 Powell (Lewis3, George2, George1) was born
on June 16, 1889 at Brooksville, Hernando County, Florida. He married
Jossie (--?--) circa 1915. He died in November, 1960 at Dade County,
Florida, at age 71.
Children of Benjamin Cader4 Powell and Jossie (--?--) were as
follows:
30i.Carl Thornton5 Powell Sr was born on July
16, 1915 at Theressa, Bradford County, Florida. He died on August 23, 1997
at Dade County, Florida, at age 82.
31ii.Elmer Powell was born circa 1929 at Florida.

Printed on: 28 Feb 2009
Prepared by:
Mary Esther Raker
1818 Crawfordville Hwy.