POWELL-DNA-L Archives

Archiver > POWELL-DNA > 2009-11 > 1258495184

Subject: Re: [POWELL-DNA] The "Isle of Wight" - William & Nathaniel PowellFw: [POWELL] The 5 Powell Brothers - 1685
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:59:44 -0500

Rachael,

Are you trying to figure out if Thomas Powell, an ancestor in the gold group, is related to the infamous Capt. Nathaniel Powell of Virginia?

Have you read George Travis Powell, Jr.'s book Thomas Powell, Colonial - Yeoman - Planter, Circa 1616 - 1687? If not, I recommend that you get this book. The author addresses the different Powells in the Isle of Wight area, including William and Nathaniel and helps to sort them out. The book is actually two large books (1773 pages!), but the 2nd book is more on the Hardman family. I was lucky enough to find this book in the Orlando Public Library where I live. It was donated to the library, and I am so grateful! I made copies of 321 pages of the book. You can find the book in many libraries, including the Virginia Historical Society in Richmond, and the Hampton Public Library in Virginia. I'm not sure where you live, but you can find a list of libraries that have the book at http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/18051086
You can read a little about the book at http://books.google.com/books?id=qGG-QQAACAAJ&source=gbs_ViewAPI

Hope this helps.
Elaine Powell
Gold Group # 153146