POWELL-L Archives

Archiver > POWELL > 1997-03 > 0858333174

From: Robert T. Strong <>
Subject: Osceola, Semiole Warrior, and Osceola Powell
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:52:54 EST

Greetings, Gregory R. Walton and ALL Powell researchers:

As a Powell Family descendant and researcher, my
interest was piqued by your untitled message.

SOURCE: THE POWELL FAMILIES OF VIRGINIA AND
THE SOUTH, compiled by Rev. Silas Emmett Lucas, Jr.
Easley, SC: Southern Historical Press, (c) 1969, 1977, 1982.

Pages 456 and following: "The John Powell Family of
Columbus, Bladen and Robeson Counties, North Carolina",
compiled by and submitted by Dr. William C. Powell,
Morganton Rd., Fayetteville, N.C., and Bruce C. Powell, Jr.,
Fairbluff, NC.

Children of Captain Absalom Powell, I, and Mary Stevens:

"John Powell died Bayou Chitto, Louisiana. Family tradition
states he and the Princess Sallie Marie, daughter of a Seminole
Indian Chief in Florida, were the parents of Osceola (1804-
1838), the famous Seminole Indian warrior. The writer of this
history has talked personally with a grandson of Colonel
Marmaduke Powell, youngest brother of John Powell. This
grandson, who was seventeen years old when Marmaduke died,
said he had been told on many occasions by his grandfather
that Osceola was the son of John Powell. This relationship
to Osceola has been pased down to all branches of the family.
Mr. Marmaduke Powell named one of his sons Osceola Powell."
[quote from pages 459-460].

>From page 493: "Marmaduke Powell, Jr., born Jan. 13, 1853,
married May 2, 1877, Mary Francis Smith, born Feb. 22, 1853.
Children: (1) Osceola Powell, born Apr. 12., 1879, died Nov.
9, 1884...." The source of this data was family Bible Records.

John Powell, the progenitor of this Powell clan, was from
Johnston County, NC, prior to settling in the part of Bladen
County, NC, that in 1808 became Columbus County, NC.
The ancestry of John Powell had not been determined at the
time the above article was compiled. The given name of
the wife of John Powell was Elizabeth. She was possibly a
Lee. The will of John Powell was dated 1789. He apparently
died before the 1790 census was taken. Elizabeth [Lee?]
Powell died in 1794.

I cannot either prove nor disprove the above story about
Osceola but, if correct, more data about his Powell relatives
can be found in the same article. No descendants of
Osceola are listed, however. Based on the message from
Gregory Walton, I would expect that the story in Lucas'
book is perhaps half-true. Perhaps Osceola was a step-
son, rather than a son, of the younger John Powell,
above.

I am not a descendant of the above John Powell family
but became acquainted through my own research on
my Powells in Bladen County, NC, the part that in 1786
became Robeson County.

Can anyone on the Powell Mail List assist Mr. Walton?

Rev. Lucas' book is in print. Contact Southern Historical
Press, Easley, SC, for current price (about $45 postpaid)
and ordering.

Robert T. (Bob) Strong, Jr.
119 Mystic Way, Monrovia Comm., Madison, AL 35758-7113
(c) 1997. Permission granted to copy for personal use only.

From: (Gregory R Walton)
To: "POWELL family genealogy list" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:45:57 PST

I'm looking for descendants of OSCEOLA (other spellings: Oseola,
Asseola, Asseheholar, Asi-yaholo) skilled commander of his people
during the Seminole war of 1835.

born on Tallapoosa river in Creek country, 1803.
died. Ft Moultrie, FL, Jan 1838.

Paternal grandfather was Scottish.
Surname somtimes listed as POWELL, because after his
father died his mother remarried a POWELL.

If you have ancestors that tie into his line, please write.