POWELL-L Archives

Archiver > POWELL > 2007-06 > 1181017159

From: "Wayne Lyon" <>
Subject: Re: [POWELL] Indians in Powells
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 00:19:19 -0400

Dear Kristen,
I would be very interested in your Powell line, too. My Powell was,
Rebecca Powell, born 1806 in Tennessee. I don't have any information on who
her parents were. She apparently married a man with the surname of Ellis.
I am not sure where they were living at the time. I'm thinking it must have
been in or near Illinois, because after his death, she married Jonas Manary
in Morgan County, Illinois on Sept. 12, 1838. They had a daughter, Emily
Jane Manary. Jonas Manary left Rebecca for another woman. He left with the
other woman and moved to Keokuk Iowa. After his death in 1852, Rebecca came
to Iowa to claim her inheritance. Jonas had never given her a divorce. The
case was in probate court for many years, but she did finally get one third
of his estate, his current common law wife got one third and his children
got one third. Rebecca had met a James Atchison by this time and remarried
on Oct. 27, 1859 in Mahaska County, Iowa. Unfortunately, James died on Dec.
15, 1867 in Mahaska County, Iowa and is buried there somewhere. I wish I
knew precisely were, because I would go and see if Rebecca is buried beside
him. I loose track of her at this point.
Her daughter, Emily Jane Manary, married Joseph C. Redshaw in Mahaska
County, Iowa on January 22, 1860. They had two children that survived her
many pregnancies. Elizabeth Belldora Redshaw, born on May 7, 1864 in Iowa,
who married Dominick Arnedo Anthony on Nov. 29, 1890 and who were my great
grandparents. Their son, Eble January Anthony, was my grandfather.
The other child of Emily Jane Manary Redshaw and Joseph C. Redshaw, was
James Franklin Redshaw, born Oct. 4, 1867 in Ingraham, Clay County,
Illinois. The family moved back to Iowa and settled in Wapello County.
Joseph C. Redshaw died of Tuberculosis on May 11, 1896 and is buried in the
Bladensburg Cemetary in Bladensburg, Wapello County, Iowa. His son's wife,
Mary Margaret Thomas Redshaw, also died of this disease and is buried in the
same cemetary.
The family relocated in Oregon. Belldora and her husband, Dominick
Anthony, lived in The Dalles, Wasco County, Oregon when he died. She
remarried to a Harmon and is buried beside Dominick Anthony in the IOOF
Cemetary in The Dalles, Oregon. I am descended down from this family.
Her brother, James Franklin Redshaw, moved to Corvallis, Benton County,
Oregon after his wife died of Tuberculosis. Most of his family moved with
him. One daughter was working for an elderly family and stayed for awhile
until the lady passed away. Then she joined her family in Oregon, too.
The mother of both Elizabeth Belldora and James Franklin first lived
with "Belldora" and Dominick Anthony. After his death and her re-marriage
to a Frank Carlson, she went to live with her son. This marriage ended up
in a divorce and "Belldora" and her children came to live with her brother,
James Franklin, and their mother. When James Franklin Redshaw died of
influenza, he was buried in the Locke Cemetary in Corvallis, Oregon. When
their mother, Emily Jane Manary-Redshaw died, she was buried there, too.
I dearly wish I knew where her mother, Rebecca
Powell-Ellis-Manary-Atchison was buried. I wish I knew who her people were.
Do you recall having a Rebecca born in your family around 1806 in TN? I can
only hope!

Sincerely,

Mrs. Linda Lyon