POWHATAN-INDIANS-L Archives

Archiver > POWHATAN-INDIANS > 2000-05 > 0959483469

From: "Teresa Walker" <>
Subject: Re: Welcome to the Powhatan Indian mail list
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 22:11:09 -0500

Nancy,

Here is what I have on Mary Tapp and William Yates. It is not much, but may
be of some help.

Will of William Tapp of Culpeper Co., Virginia dated 27 June 1780,
proven 17 January 1796. Legatees: Wife Christiane Tapp. Sons: Vincent
Tapp, William Tapp, Lewis Tapp. Grandson William Tapp, son of Vincent Tapp.
Daughter Ann Cunninghame, wife of John Cunninghame. Daughter Alice Graham,
wife of John Graham. Daughter Elizabeth Green. Daughter Sarah Tapp, wife
of John Jett. WILLIAM YATES, son of MARY YATES, dec'd. Executors: Son
Vincent Tapp, James Jett. Witnesses: Thomas Hopper, Jacob Wall, Ann (x)
Walle.
Disannulled in a codicil, the bequest to William Yates, 10 September
1789. Witnesses: Moses Tapp, Silas Tapp. James Jett refused to act as
executor.

Here is some further information taken from the Internet:
Son William was in St. Mark's Parish, Orange Co., Virginia in 1736; son
Vincent was in St. George's Parish, Spotsylvania Co. in 1736.
Son William Tapp's will was proven 17 January 1796 in Culpeper Co.,
Virginia.
(The above information taken from GenForum on internet, posted by Steve
Martin 17 November 1999) There is further information on the internet on
the Taptico family.

I, too, descend from William Tapp through his daughter Sarah who married
John Jett, Jr. I believe it is their son James who refused to act as
executor for his grandfather's will. I really need to do more investigating
on my Tapp line now that I have become a Wicocomico Indian Nation member.
If you have information on the line I would be happy to exchange what I
have.

Sincerely,

Teresa