POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2000-05 > 0958838961

From: David Peate <>
Subject: Montgomeryshire Enquiries
Date: Sat, 20 May 2000 17:09:21 +0100

Re: LLOYD in 1871 Census
Dear Anne Powell
Regarding the other LLOYD family of Meifod, I regret that I have discarded
my notes on it. I will look again if it is necessary. However, you seem
only to be missing Polly and you will find that this is a pet name for Mary
who is included on the 1871 census return. In 1891, 'your' Robert and Ann
LLOYD were living at Virniew (sic) Bank, Meifod. With them was a son,
Ellis, a scholar, aged 13. There was no Robert LLOYD in the 1891 census of
an age and with a birth-place to be that Robert in the 1871 census.
Perhaps Robert junior died before he was a 'teenager and the memory of him
did not endure. Most of the children would have been of an age to have
been in service by 1881 and that is probably why they are not in company
with Robert and Ann. I think that you should have the right family based
on what has gone before.

Re: Missing ancestors
Dear Lawrence
The overwhelming proportion of burials from Forden workhouse was in Forden
parish churchyard. This accounts principally for the open space without
memorials to the north of the church. Some inmates were buried in the
precincts of the workhouse itself if I recall aright and I think that there
was one memorial. As you may know, the MontGenSoc will be publishing the
memorial inscriptions for Forden later this year. I am sure that there
will be the usual notes in the introduction and these may touch on
workhouse burials. The author of the introductions to the booklets
subscribes to this list so I will not subject him to additional stress.

Re: Pantybriallu and Byrwydd, Castle Caereinion, Montgomeryshire
Dear Ruth
Dr. Lawrence Griffiths, who raised the foregoing issue, tells me that Y
Byrwydd is the name of the mountain to the south of Castle Caereinion.
Several of his ancestors were born in various Castle Caereinion holdings
containing "Berwydd" in their names.

Re: WOOF
Dear Jan McBeth
I do not think that William WOOF was born in Montgomeryshire and,
logically, that leaves Shropshire as your next port of call. There is no
baptism of a William WOOF in the IGI. As this finding aid is supposed to
include all those registers transcribed by the Shropshire Parish Register
Society, you are left with about a third (or less) of that county's
registers to tap. However, your best course would be to find the
WOOF/SMALLMAN marriage. It is quite possible that William's parish of
residence will be that where he was born. Mr. R. (Bob) W. Gwynne, Denton,
Manchester, should be visited. According to the Mormons' vital records'
list, Munslow and Quatford baptisms are supposed to be on the IGI for the
period of WW's birth.

Regards, David Peate
Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society
http://home.freeuk.net/montgenso