POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2000-08 > 0965286378

From: "Jen" <>
Subject: Welsh in Kansas (formerly Welsh in America)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 02:06:18 -0500

Hello Kathy and fellow listers!

I have an interest in this article on Welsh settlers in Kansas. I see you
have mentioned several names below and was wondering if there were any more.

My ancestors (William G. JONES and Jane nee GEORGE) left Cwmdu, Breconshire,
South Wales in 1884 for Liverpool where they boarded the ship Scythia bound
for New York with their three children: William John b. July 13, 1881; twins
Margaret Jane and Rachel Anna, b. May 21, 1883. After arriving April 9, 1884
in New York, the family immediately left for Kansas settling in Arvonia. The
family bought land on at least two occasions in Arvonia, Arvonia Township,
Osage County Kansas. In 1909, they left the farm in Osage County and moved
to 'town' in Lebo, Coffey County, Kansas.

Is there any info on my ancestors in the article you have? Where did you get
the article? Is it a book? If so, when was it printed? Who is the author?

I know of a book called, "Arvonia, the Little Welsh Village" which I am
trying desperately to locate and read. I'm hoping there is something
mentioned about my family in it. If anyone has access to it, please contact
me.

The Kansas towns you have mentioned are all very close in proximity. There
was a very large Welsh population in that area and I know that St. David's
Day is still celebrated in some communities. If anyone has connections with
the area, I would be more than happy to correspond with you as my mother
grew up in that area and still has siblings living there. I have also been
to Arvonia, which is now a ghost town, and taken a few photos. There is
still an old school there which is in good shape. I'm not sure it is being
used for anything in particular, but I did photograph it. There are still a
few residents in the area, but not enough to call it a town. If anyone has
any further questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I will be near the area this coming weekend for a family reunion on the
other side of my mother's family and might have a chance to do some looking
around.

Thanks for the mention of the Kansas area and if you would please let me
know if my ancestors are mentioned in your article, I'd be most
appreciative.

Thanks again!
Jennifer Ohmes

Dodge City, KS