POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-04 > 0986513661

From: Dick Jones <>
Subject: RE: Llanfihangel
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:34:21 +0000

>Would you happen to know if there is more than one "Llanfihangel" in
>Powys, I'm looking for the one near or containing "Caefny coed" (which I
>think means behind the woods)?
>And can anyone direct me to a website that would explain how to
>pronounce it?
>Thanks,
>
>Laurie
>
>looking for William J. and Morris Williams in Llanfihangel, Wales

There are FORTY-THREE Llanfihangels in Wales.

Have a look at the Church in Wales list of churches and parishes at
http://www.churchinwales.org.uk/rb/PPARISHS.HTM
27 Llanfihangels (most with grid references).

or Parish Locator at http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/parish
25 Llanfihangels (with grid references).

To find the location, input the grid references into
http://www.streetmap.co.uk after selecting 'Landranger Grid'.
From the street-map format zoom out by clicking on the [-] button at the
bottom right to get a 3 km x 3 km section of the local Ordnance Survey
1:50,000 Landranger map. The location is indicated by the red arrow. You
can zoom out further if you wish to get your bearings.

There is a 'Cefn Coed Isaf' at SJ098157 2km SE of Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa.
The 'y' in the original name could very easily disappear over the years.
There is also a 'Cefn Coed Uchaf' somewhere nearby.
The post code for both is SY22 5JF. You can input this into
http://www.streetmap.co.uk after selecting 'Post Code'.

--
Regards
Dick Jones