POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-05 > 0989443444

From: "Paul Vivash" <>
Subject: Re: Best Route to Aberystwyth
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 23:05:08 +0100

Hi Julie!

Regarding 1. you've hit the major problem - travelling North/South by public
transport in Wales is a disaster area. I live near Aberystwyth and when I
needed to get to Cardiff Airport on occasion my wife had to drive me there.

2. Unless you have unlimited time (there's effectively one coach to London
which takes about 6 hours), rail is the only practicable link between
Aberystwyth and London. The trains are about every 2 hours from Euston and
you change at Birmingham or Wolverhampton onto the "Sprinter". This stops
everywhere between the Midlands (via Shrewsbury) and the whole journey
averages 5 hours. I've done it quite a few times!

3. The cost depends on various offers. The last time I went for the day I
paid just £25 return and you can get an Apex for around £35. If you have to
pay the full whack it's over £50 return.

To check rail times try:

http://www.railtrack.co.uk/travel/

Cheers

Paul