POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-05 > 0989616647

From: "Julie Preston" <>
Subject: Re: where now!
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:10:20 -0400

John,

There was no 1801 census, sorry to say. The first genealogically-valuable
census was in 1841 but that will only tell you whether the person was born
in the county or not ("Yes" or "No", and in my experience that hasn't always
been correct).

When you say you've tried to Powys Archives to find, I presume, the elder
John HUGHES' baptism, did you locate the baptisms of other children of that
couple and did you look for their marriage entry in the same register? If
they married there, the entry will state if either of them were not of that
parish. Also, did you look in the later years for a burial entry? At least
that would give you his approximate age.

My advice is to branch out to the registers of surrounding parishes and you
may also want to look for the Land Tax Assessments which were done ca.
1798-1801 to see where a John HUGHES shows up in that area, presumably as a
tenant. The NLW Aberystwyth has them, the Powys Archives might also have
them, and the LDS have microfilmed them.

The mailing list for London (including Islington, I believe) is
Someone on that list will be quick to tell
you if you need a different list.

Good luck!

Julie Preston