POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-05 > 0989941054

From: "Barbara Griffiths" <>
Subject: Pen-yr-Hoel Baptist Chapel
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 16:28:36 +0100

Hi,
I'm looking for a bit of 'local' knowledge or advice here, please -

Following the recent messages about Pen-yr-Hoel Baptist Chapel, I obtained
the full details for a couple of the monumental inscriptions relating to my
family and now find myself intrigued by one of them, particularly in view of
the transcriber's comment (in brackets):

Index No. 1062
John and Elizabeth GRIFFITHS, formerly of Tymawr Cloddock and late of
Cwmbach Velindre.
Their son Tom Parry GRIFFITHS died Dec 1884 in Bedwas, nr Caerphilly age 31.
(My notes say no dates given for John and Elizabeth, and the son looked very
new as if put up relatively recently.)

The transcription was carried out c1990.

Although it reads as if John and Elizabeth are buried in the grave, I am
fairly sure that they are in the grave at Index No. 1056 -
John Griffiths of Cwmbach Farm in this parish. Died June 26th 1888 age 77
years.
Elizabeth his wife, died at Gilwern, May 1st 1900 age 86.

I know that the correct date for the death of Tom Parry GRIFFITHS was 1887
(I have a copy of the certificate). I also think that the description of
John and Elizabeth as being 'of Tymawr' seems strange - Elizabeth was
formerly a PARRY and her parents lived at Tymawr from about 1830 - 1874 when
her mother died. However, John and Elizabeth married in Trevethin,
Monmouthshire in 1838 and then lived in the Llanwenarth area until at least
the end of 1858 (judging by the birth certificates of their children) They
were at Tymawr for the 1861 census, but Mary Parry, Elizabeth's mother was
head and they had a young baby so were possibly only staying there
temporarily. Certainly by 1871 they were at 'Hill' in Clodock, (Mary Parry
was still at Tymawr) and by 1881 they were at Tybach in Tregoyd & Velindre,
Brecon.

So it seems as if the gravestone might have been erected 'recently' by
someone with a reasonable but not quite accurate knowledge of the family.
Someone who might possibly be able to help me with more information about
the family in the sense of family stories etc.

My query is how else might I go about finding out more? I have written to
the vicar of the local church to ask if there would be any records relating
to the erection of the gravestone (ie would they have needed permission?).
I will also try obtaining the death certificates for John and Elizabeth to
see who the informant was. But what else could I try?

Are there any local newspapers etc that I could put an enquiry in? Does
anyone local have knowledge of the families in that area?

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions, please. I haven't usually tried to
look for living relatives, but the possibility that there might be someone
out there with more information is really exciting (and frustrating!!)

TIA
Best wishes,
Barbara Griffiths at
Coventry UK

Surname interests
P A R R Y - collecting every reference I can find in MON/HEF/BRE/
M I N E T T - Particularly HEF/GLS but also anytime/anyplace

This thread: