POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-05 > 0990523357

From: "David Spark" <>
Subject: Simon Fraser (Lord Lovat)
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 10:22:37 +0100

Hi Dennis,

Simon Fraser , later to become the 17th Baron Lovat in 1933, was indeed a
Scotsman and after succeeding his father to the title also became the 25th
Chief of the Clan Fraser. He was commissioned into the Scots Guards in 1932
and on the outbreak of war in 1939 joined the Lovat Scouts , originally
raised by his father , the 16th Baron, for service in the Boer War in 1899
and originally known as "Lovat's Scouts".

Lord Lovat saw action with No 4 Commando in the Lofoten Islands off the
Norwegian coast in 1941 and in 1942 as a Lt Colonel commanded No 4 Commando
on the Dieppe raid. He was promoted to Brigadier and raised and commanded
the 1st Special Service Brigade which came ashore in Normandy on Sword Beach
preceded by his personal piper, Bill Millin. The Brigade advanced inland to
link up with elements of the 6th Airborne Division at Pegasus Bridge, an
incident depicted in the film "The Longest Day" in which the part of Lovat
was played by Peter Lawford. Lord Lovat was severely wounded on 12 June 1944
and was evacuated.

After the War, he entered politics and served as Under Secretary of State
for Foreign Affairs subsequently returning to Scotland to manage his
estates.

Regards,

David Spark (Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire)

Looking for Evans (Montgomeryshire), Spark (Yorkshire / Co Durham), Steel
(Yorkshire)