POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-05 > 0990831070

From: Dick Jones <>
Subject: Re: WHERE ARE THESE PLACES?
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 22:51:10 +0000

>Would someone be able to given me a link - e.g. landranger or equivalent
>to the following:
>Lyneal and Tirymynech
>
>Are they very close together? - my maps are useless - need your help
>
>thanks
>
>Justine

'Tirymynach' is a district 4 km SSE of Llanbrynmair

For location go to http://www.streetmap.co.uk
Select 'Landranger grid' and enter the grid reference SH935015.
From the street-map format zoom out by clicking on the [-] button at
the bottom right to get a 3 km x 3 km section of the local Ordnance
Survey 1:50,000 Landranger map. The Tirymynach area is more or less
the area covered by the central kilometre square of the section.
Disregard the red arrow. You can zoom out further if you wish.

'Lyneal' does not look right and I suspect that it is corrupted or
otherwise mispelt. No Welsh place-name starts 'Lyn-'. Of 30,000 Welsh
place-names The combination 'eal' does not occur in 30,000 Welsh
place-names on OS 1:25,000 maps of North & Mid-Wales.
--
Regards
Dick Jones

This thread: