POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2001-05 > 0990853412

From: Graham Price <>
Subject: Welshpool
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:03:32 +1000

Hi
My turn to ask a question.

Does anyone know where Upper Plantation was (is) in Welshpool? I have a 6"
to the mile 1887 ordnance map of Pool Lower, but does not show it. I assume
it was a residential estate, group of terraces or such out of the main
town. My great, great grandfather, William Rogers and family are shown
there on the 1841 & 1851 census. Also, William was a shoemaker, previously
a farmer at Buttington, but plied his shoe trade at Raven Square Welshpool.
Is Raven square still around, or has it been demolished, re-constituted
into a modern form, or pulverized into something else in the rush for
modernity? Love to have a photo if it is still in original form or thereabouts.

Another little question. Is Brookland Hall (out of Welshpool at Garth)
still standing? My great-grandfather's sister, Ann Rogers, born Buttington
1836 was apparently a cook there in 1881. Feed the multitude! Can't find a
marriage (so far) for this girl, grrrh. A bit late, anyway.
Regards
Graham
Melbourne, Oz

This thread: