POWYS-L Archives

Archiver > POWYS > 2007-03 > 1173872476

From: "Andrew Price" <>
Subject: Re: [POWYS] (Off Topic) Welsh DNA Testing?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:41:16 +0000

Irrespective of the strengths and weaknesses of DNA testing (a whole
separate debate) I've always suspected that the relatively recent
patronomic surnames and the comparably smaller pool of surnames in Wales
makes the whole case for DNA testing weaker. For example there only
likely to be a restricted number of different strands of the surname
"Dixon" in England (just to pick on one) while in Wales the number of
"Price" strands depends only on the numberof men called Rhys in the 17th
century or thereabouts. I suspect there were quite a few men called Rhys
and each of them has probably led to a surname line called Price with no
relation between them.