POYTHRESS-L Archives

Archiver > POYTHRESS > 1997-11 > 0880942779

From: Ken Poole <>
Subject: Re: Va. Militia in 17th Century
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:19:39 -0500

Hi to all, Having read your suggestion that the Spanish educated him I
will not comment on. However I can make some observations which are rather
self evident.

The timing of the second Indian Crusade to rid Virginia of Colonists did
coincide with troubles in England, which in fact saw the Crown topple.
Their timing suggests more knowledge of English affairs than we have given
them credit for.

Another is that I suspect the Indians have had a bad press right along. One
has to dig deep to find the information that in desperation "Ope" (which
ever one makes one happy) tryed to give, by law, the entire Country to
Thomas Rolfe. This was an effort to work within the frame work of a law
which would never work for them.

It was this time frame also, which saw the decision to take permanent
Prisoners of War. These Indians were sold into slavery down south in the
Islands, or given to soldiers as permanent slaves.

One ought to note this happened again in the Viet Nam conflict, when our
country refused to pay the money for the "other" prisoners we left over
there. Ken