POYTHRESS-L Archives

Archiver > POYTHRESS > 2004-01 > 1074391412

From: "Michael Tutor" <>
Subject: The Poythress Chronicles
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:03:32 -0500

January 17, 2004, Virginia Beach, VA.

I would hope that this next section will answer a few questions that we may have harbored at one time or other, but I would not be surprised if these abstracts create further questions. This chronology will conclude the time frame of the Poythress family that seems to be the most acceptable and most documented. From this point, until the beginning of the 19th century seems to be the greatest hurdle for most Poythress descendants. I have tried once again to document the sources for the abstracts.

Francis Poythress(2) (c. 1635-1688)

Francis Poythress(2), son of Captain Francis Poythress(1), was born circa 1635 and died 1688. He acquired property in Prince George County in 1681, 1682 and 1683. The last grant seems to have been deserted possibly after his death, but was regranted to his son, John Poythress, in 1703. On September 28, 1681, he was granted 609 acres on the Blackwater, bordering on the Nottaway path and the Clearwather [sic _ Clearwater?] spring, in Charles City. He later patented 750 acres in Charles City, April 20, 1682, being the land Thomas Morgan died seized of, and 1,230 acres in Jordans Parish, Charles City, November 20, 1683, bordering on said Poythress, Henry Batt, et. al. He passed through the militia grades of Captain and Major, and is generally spoken of in his day and in subsequent reference to him as Major Frances Poythress. He was a justice of Charles City in 1677. He died about 1688. Francis Poythress married Rebecca Coggin, daughter of John Coggin. (See Book 1, Part 2 for the!
Coggan family history). As Rebecca Poythress, she was granted 1,000 acres of land in Charles City, April 28, 1692, said land being late in the tenure of Edward Ardington. She later married (2) Charles Bartholomew, the widower of her sister. This resulted in court action, as according to the ecclesiastical law in effect in Virginia at that time, this constituted an incestuous marriage. [Comment: The author, who is a renowned genealogist, cites "the Charles City Court Minutes as authority for the statement that Rebecca was the daughter of John Coggin/Coggan].

Rebecca Poythress acquired 1,000 acres of land in Charles City County in her own name in 1692, which land in the deed of Burrell and Ann Green, in 1721, is specifically referred to by date. This deed of Francis Poythress, of Surry County, indicates that he was the son of Major Francis and the one that is termed Francis Poythress, Sr. Certainly the daughters were Ann and Rebecca. We therefore place as the children of Major Francis Poythress and his wife Rebecca Coggin the following, though not in the sequence of their ages: (1) Francis Poythress, who was listed on the 1704 Rent Roll in Prince George as "Francis Poythress, Sen." with 1,283 acres of land. Later record uncertain, but he appears to have been the ancestor of a long line of Francis Poythresses; (2) Anne Poythress, married Burrell Green. On November 15, 1721, Burrell Green and his wife, Ann, of Surry County and Francis Poythress, of Prince George, sold land to Robert Hunnicutt, part of a patent to Rebecca Poythress !
for 1,000 acres of land half of which land is in the possession of Littleberry Eppes, 300 acres of said land was given Rebecca Poythress, a daughter of said Rebecca and 200 acres to the said Anne Green. Burrell Green died intestate in Surry and his widow Ann was appointed administrator of his estate September 19, 1733. They appear to have lived in what was later Sussex County; (3) Rebecca Poythress, married Richard Pace. Circumstantial evidence is strong that she married Richard Pace, died 1738, and removed with him to North Carolina. According to family tradition, this Richard Pace married a Rebecca Poythress. In 1715, Francis Poythress, Sen., sold 100 acres to Peter Grammar on Holly Bushes Branch, on the line of Richard Pace. On November 11, 1718, Richard Pace and Francis Poythress sold 400 acres on Old Town Run, adjoining the lands of Rosser and Goodrich; (4) Thomas Poythress is mentioned as brother in the will of John Poythress in 1724. At the time of the 1704 Rent Roll,!
he owned 616 acres in Prince George. In 1715, he was granted 180 acres in Surry. There is no further definite record of him and it is not known if he left descendants. He may be the Thomas Poythress who was named "cousin" in 1750, Joshua Poythress (4), second of the name, was executor of a Thomas Poythress; and, (5) John Poythress, died between 1720_1724, married Mary Batte.

Francis Poythress(2) (c. 1635-1688)

A Court at Westover 3 June 1665. p. 554.

Francis Poythres hath proved right by testimony of Capt. Robt. Wynne to 450 acres of Land for the adventure and importacon of Francis Poythres, Tho: Mallory, Wm Hind, Jo: Barlow, Jonn Ward, James Cobcock, Ellin'r Towle and Sampson Ellis (twice).

Captain Robert Wynne (1622-1678) was the step-father of Francis Poythress(2).

(From "Our Colonial Ancestors" by Bruce Howard")

A Court at Westover, 3 June 1665, p. 552.

To all to whom these presents shall come, I Anthony Wyatt aged 60 years or thereabouts do declare upon my oath to the best of my knowledge that the fifty acres of Land which I sold to Captain Poythress was the outside Land of Capt. Woodlief and delivered to me by Mr. Gabrill Hollan then Guardian of Capt. Woodlief's estate beginning at a great walnut tree then standing near Jenkin Osborne (which then had purchased Jarrets land) and Mr. Hollan to divide the land of Woodlief and Jarretts, and Jarrett was to begin at the tree and so to the Creek. This is to the best of my knowledge nothing but truth As witnesse my hand this 16 of May 1665. Anthony Wyatt.

(From "Our Colonial Ancestors" by Bruce Howard):

The fifty acres of land was the point of controversy and the reason Woodlief assaulted Wyatt, one of His Majesties Justices, for selling John Poythress, his neighbor, land that he, Woodlief, believed belonged to his father's estate. Mr. Hollan, the administrator of John Woodlief, Sr.'s estate, somehow managed to get this 50 acres separated from the other land, probably with the help of Wyatt, who then delivered it to Wyatt who in turn sold it to Poythress. By the time Woodlief, Jr., found out that he no longer owned that 50 acres and inquired of his friend and neighbor, John Poythress, how he held title and from who, and Poythress disclosing the name of the man he purchased from, sent Woodlief into a rage. Many years had gone by and I suspect that Mr. Hollan was no longer around, but Wyatt was.....The deed was done and the records do not show that the court gave the land back to Woodlief. The matter was probably settled out of court and Woodlief was satisfied.

This was John Poythress (c. 1639-1712), son of Francis Poythress(1). Woodlief's son, John (1673-c. 1741), would later marry John Poythress' daughter, Mary (c. 1674). There is also a possibility that one of Jarrett's sons married one of John Poythress' daughters.

Elizabeth Bishop Peebles, 2nd wife of David Peebles

(From "Our Colonial Ancestors" by Bruce Howard)

Patent to Mr. John Drayton, 150 acres in Charles City Co., 14 June 1665. Upon the Ready Swamp issuing out of Powells Creek, bounded south and west upon land of Mr. David Peoples. Granted to James Ward on 7 June 1651, by him assigned to Mrs. Eliz. Peoples, on 12 Jan. 1657, and now due sd. Drayton as marrying the sd. Elizabeth.

John Coggin (c. 1620- c. 1698)

(From "Our Colonial Ancestors" by Bruce Howard)

Deed dated 26 June 1665. Patrick Jackson planter of Merchants Hope sells to Wm Hunt wheelwright of Buckland, Charles City County, 450 acres in Merch Hope...adjacent to land late of Richd Baker dec'd according to a late bounding survey made by Maj'r Willm Harris, the west part on the land of Mr. Jno. Cogan lately purchased of Tho Boyce, and part on the land late of Mr. James Warrandine, and Northerly part upon 200 acres now in the tenure of James Wallace and 100 acres lately purchased of the sd Jackson by Tho: Douglas and part on the land of the Merchants Hope, which land is the remainder of a dividend of 1500 acres jointly purchased by the sd Richd Baker (now dec'd) and the sd Jackson of Mr. Richd Jones minister. Delivery by turf and twig 22 Aug. 1665.

Signed Patrick Jackson

Wit: Thomas Douglas, John x Rosser, Robert Simons Howell Pryse Clk.

Recorded 15 Sept. 1665.

Charles City County Deeds, p. 511. John Cogan. Octr. 13, 1665. 100 acres On the South side of James river adjoining the land of Thomas Cooke thence & crossing the great swamp at the mouth of the Cross swamp.

John Woodlief (1614-1676)

A Court at Westover, 3 Aprill 1666, p. 634.

Capt. John Woodlief aged 51 years or thereabouts examined and sworn saith That going aboard of a Small Ship riding before James City with Mr. Anthony Wyatt and some others, there lay some hammocks - Cabin where they were with one of the Seamen belonging to the sd. Ship. Mr. Wyatt demanded of him if they were to be sold who told him yes, and upon that said Mr. Wyatt bought two hammocks of him and the man desired Ferd: Aston who was then aboard to receive the pay for them, afterwards the said Mr. Wyatt went to James City - the Hammocks aboard and in his return from There he - [went] Ship side and called very often, and hearing no man to [answer] requested Mr. Tho: Mallory [to go aboard and search for the hammocks] and reached them according to Mr. Wyatts directions, and withall handed over a Jug of wine beverage and further saith not. John Woodlief. Jurat'

Coram me 17. Martij A'om. 1655. Robert Wynne.

(From "Our Colonial Ancestors" by Bruce Howard):

Capt. Woodlief's son, John, probably lived at Jordans. He married Mary Poythress, daughter of John Poythress, his neighbor. Mary was an older child of the first marriage of John Poythress. John and Mary Woodlief had one son, George, who married Norah. Capt. Woodlief's son, Edward, married Sarah and lived in Prince George county between Bailey's Creek and the Blackwater River in Westover Parish. Edward and Sarah Woodlief had: John, Edward, Sarah, Joseph, James, Thomas, Ann, Mary and Susannah. Sarah Woodlief married Richard Pace, son of James Pace(4). Capt. Woodlief's son, George, married Elizabeth Wallace, daughter of James and Joan Wallace, of Merchants Hope in Westover Parish. George and Elizabeth Woodlief had one child, a daughter, Mary, who married a Carter.

Robert Wynne (1622-1678), second husband of Mary Frances Poythress

Session of October 23, 1666: Charles City: Captain Robert Wynne, Speaker, Captain Thomas Southcoat.

Francis Poythress(2) (c. 1635-1688)

Captain Robert Wynne, of Charles City County, long Speaker of the House of Burgesses, in his will dated July, 1675 makes his son_in_law Capt. Francis Poythress an executor.

Mary Frances Poythress Wynne (c. 1618-c. 1675), wife of Frances Poythress(1)

Mary Frances Sloman Poythress/Wynne is referred to in a suit in the General Court as Robert Wynne's executrix on Oct. 8, 1675.

Robert Wynne (1622-1678), second husband of Mary Frances Poythress/Wynne

In the name of god Amen, I Robert Wynne of Jordans Parish of Charles City County in Virginia Gent. being very sick and weak of body but of perfect mind and memory. Praised be Almighty God for that great mercy make this my last Will and Testament in manner and form as followeth.

Imprimis I bequeath my soul into the hands of Almighty God my heavenly father trusting in the merits and mercy of my Saviour Jesus Christ to obtaine remission of my sins and to be made partaker of eternity of Saints in the world to come and for my body to be decently buried in Jordans Church as nigh as conveniently it may be to my son Robert and for my worldly goods I thus dispose of for those that God hast blessed me withall in England.

Item I give and bequeath unto my eldest son Thomas Wynne one farme in Whitestaple Parish in Kent nigh Canterbury and normally called by the name Linebett Banckes with all barns stables outhouses lands orchards and all things old and they were left me or have been improved since to him and the heirs of his body lawfully begotten forever But my will and pleasure is that he enjoy no part or parcell of this till he be one and twenty years old. In the interim what profitts shall amount annually out of this to be disposed of by my administrator hereinafter nomonated. And if it shall please God my said son Thomas dye either before he come to age or have lawfull issue my will and pleasure is my son Joshua enjoy it on the said terms above expressed. And if it please God he dye before he comes to age or have lawful issue that then it shall come to my daughter Woodlief and her heirs. But if it shall please God that all dye without heirs then to be disposed of as it shall think fitt by !
my administratrix.

Item I further give and bequeath unto my son Thomas one house being in Canterbury in St. Mildred's Parish with all them thereunto belonging to enjoy and to be held at the age of one and twenty and in the said forme as my ffarme at Whitestaple and in defalt of heirs to descend as that doth.

Item I give and bequeath unto my youngest son Joshua Wynne one house and oatmeale mill with orchards backfield and garden lying in Dover Lane without St. Georges in Canterbury and commonly called by the name of the Lilly Pott and further I will and bequeath to my said son Joshua two houses in the same lane over against the Lilly Pott where a ropemaker and one Rawlins hath been formerly tenants to enjoy every part and parcell of these at the age of one and twenty years and not before. I give and bequeath them to him and the heirs of his body lawfully begotten forver. But if it please God he shall dye before he come to age or without lawful issue that then they shall come to his brother Thomas and his failing then to his sister Woodlief and if she failed then to my administratrix as aforesaid.Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Woodlief one messauge or tenement being in the Parish of Hernehill to sell allign or dispose as to her shall seme requisite it being for the bett!
ering her portion and she to enjoy it as soone as it shall please God to call me to his mercy.

Item I give and bequeath and my will and pleasure is that my son Thomas enjoy all the cattle of his own mark being formerly given him except one cowe called Moll which is to be killed for provision and likewise one mare and ffilly foal he is already possessed of and one good featherbedd with bolster pillow rugg and two blanketts and likewise two gunns he is to take his choice of all mine for them.Item I give unto my son Joshua my plantation called Georges with all the tobacco house and other houses with all the whole (grant?) of that divident to him and the heirs of his body lawfully begotten And in defalt of such heirs to his brother Thomas And in defalt of Thomas to my daughter Woodlief and also the cattell known to be his and a ffilly now in his possesion with a feather bed bolster pillow rugg and two blanketts and two well fixt gunns.

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Woodlief one servant of ffower years to serve the next shipping after my decease or else two thousand pounds of tobacco and oats to buy one.

Item I give my grandchild and godson young George Woodlief one ffilly ffoal of about a year old And for all my other estate as well this in Virginia as what shall be sent of England now and till my children comed to age I give and bequeath after my just debts are paid unto my beloved wife Mary Wynne whom I make my whole and sole administratrix of this my last Will and Testament and my desire and request is that my loving friends Thomas Grendon, merchant and my son in law Captaine Ffrancis Poythress be overseers to this my Last Will and Testament to either of whome I give twenty shillings to buy them a small ring in remembrance of me. In witness to every part and parcel of this my Last Will and Testament I have left my hand and annexed my seal this first of July 1675.

Robert Wynne. seale

Signed sealed in the presence of Thomas Brome, John Burge (mark) - endorsed this at a court holden at Westover the third day of August 1675, by the right honorable the Justices of the said Court.

This will was proved in court by the oaths of Thomas Brome and John Burge the witnesses therein named and a probate granted the administratrix therein also named and entered amongst the records of the said court.

James Minge Cl. Crt.

Examined May Court 1677. J. Minge, John Rudde, John Sherman.

Francis Poythress(2) (c. 1635-1688)

John Eppes, James Bisse, Nicholas Wyatt, John Stith - 12, 13th and 14th of June 1677, acting as Commissioners examined various persons in regard to a certain petition that had been presented to the Governor and Council from Charles City County. Among others were Capt. Francis Poythress, Mr. Henry Batte and others. This at Westover.

Henry Batte (1642-c. 1699) was the father of Mary Batte (1670-1760), who married John Poythress(3) (abt. 1676-aft. 1724), son of John Poythress(2) and Christian Peebles. James Bisse was the third husband of Sarah Barker (1623-1694), daughter of William Barker and Frances Ward. John Stith (1620-1694) was the father of Agnes Stith (1658-1718), who married Thomas W. Wynne (1657-1717), son of Robert Wynne and Mary Frances Poythress.

John Coggin (c.1620-c. 1698)

Ordered that Dr. John Coggan and John Howell appear at next court to prove the will of Wm. Winkfield, dec'd and that Wm. Dobson be summoned to give security for the estate of the orphans, 7 November 1677. Charles City Court Order Book.

(Harrison Genealogy Repository):

John Peterson, the emigrant, may have died relatively young. On June 25, 1678, the suit of John Peterson vs. John Coggin was dismissed, the plantiff being ill. (Charles City O. H. 1677-1679, p. 308). John Peterson died soon thereafter; for, on 2/19/1679, Abraham Odium and his wife petitioned the Court of Charles City - "that John Peterson, lately dec'd., sometime before his death, declared it to be his desire that the said Odium should have the management and tuition of his children and their estate; therefore, he, the said Odium, prays commission of administration may be granted unto him -- he giving security that the mill and plantation be kept in good repair and order, the mill to be kept at work for the benefit of the orphans, and that the said Odium bring in a true and perfect inventory of the said estate at the next court..." "The relationship of Odium to John Peterson is not known. An Abraham Odium is listed m the rent rolls of Nansemond Co. in 1704. Odium mismanaged !
the estate and the following records appear in the court held Dec. 3, 1679: "Whereas the estate of John Peterson, dec'd., consisting of a mill and other perishable things, which, without great care taken thereof, and whereas Abraham Odium, now in possession of the said estate, cannot find security for administration - nor doth take such care as is needful for preserving the sd. estate, which being seriously considered by the court, doth think fitt to remove the estate and put the same into the care of Mr. Henry Batte; but Mr. Batte, objecting that ye mill, being the most considerable part of the estate, is daily exposed to ye violence of the Indian enemy, who, by fire or otherwise, may destroy ye same. If, therefore, the court will grant and allow that, in case of such fire, or otherwise, done by the Indians to the sd. mill, that the proper estate of him, the said Batt, may not be lyable to make ye same good to the orphan, when of age, that then he would accept administratio!
n upon ye said estate and of the guardianship of the orphan, to which the court consents and agree to, with that reservation - commission of administration is granted to Capt. Henry Batt on the estate of John Peterson, dec'd., for the performance of which office Maj. John Stith becomes security."

Mary Peterson, the great granddaughter of John Peterson, the emigrant, married a Francis Poythress (bef. 1729-?, son of Francis Poythress and Hannah Worsham?).

Francis Poythress(2) (c. 1635-1688)

September 28, 1681, Major Francis Poytres (Poytheres), Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants Abstracted and Indexed by Nell Marion Nugent, Virginia State Library, Richmond, 1977.

609 Acres, Charles City County; on the south side of James River, beginning on the south side of the Blackwater, to the Nottoway path, 28 September 1681. Patent Book No. 7, p. 99. Running to the Nottaway Path; to the black water spring; to the black water maine. Land adjacent to Captain Robert Lewcy, Townes quarter, Hercules Flood. Transportation of 12 persons.....on the Blackwater, bordering the Nottaway path and the Clearwater spring, in Charles City.

Robert Lucy (?-bef. 1688) was the second husband of Sarah Barker (1623-1694).

April 20, 1682, Major Francis Poythries, Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants. Abstracted and Indexed by Nell Marion Nugent, Virginia State Library, Richmond, 1977.

750 Acres, Charles City County; 20 April 1682, Patent Book No. 7, 1679-89, p. 130. being the land which Thomas Morgan died seized of and which was found to escheat, by inquisition under Henry Hartwell, Depty. Esch't, &c.

November 20, 1683, Major Francis Poytheres (Poythries), Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants. Abstracted and Indexed by Nell Marion Nugent, Virginia State Library, Richmond, 1977.

1,252 Acres, Charles City County; in the Parish of Jordans; on south side of James River, adjoining the land of Sampson Ellis, Henry Batte & others, thence &c, on a run known by the name of Dry bottom run, 20 November 1683. Patent Book No. 7, 1679-89, p. 335. Land adjacent to Sampson Ellis, Henry Batt, John Woodley, James Mumford. For transportation of 25 persons: Sarah Henley, Elizabeth Hayes, William Sage, Symon Rouse, Jon. Flud, Jon. Conway, Morgan Welch, Richard Hind, Roger Horner, Richard Thornbury, Thomas Wood, Jone Graneley, William Wood, John Lawrence, Jon Cole, Eli Brown, Jon. Cooper, Jos. Marsh, George Bell, George Crosland, William Arnold, William Sarsco and David Haynes.

(The Genealogical Connection of Rose Edwards)

December, 1685, Peter Read and Major Francis Poythress, were Joint administrators of the estate of Ann Young. The estate was to be equally divided between orphans of the deceased. Major Poythress and Mr. Robert Bolling gave bond of L60 Sterling. Mr. Peter Read, and Mr. John Jean gave bond in the same amount." Ann was the daughter of Peter Read and the widow of Dorrill Young who died circa 1677 in Charles City County, Virginia. Dorrill Young, and Ann Read Young, had four children: a daughter, Joan, and sons, John, Thomas and Dorrill Jr. At a court held at Westopher, Charles City County, Virginia, April 3, 1688, Ann Read was granted administration of the estate of her late husband, Peter Read. Ben Traverse acted as security. James Wallis and Edmund Irby were appointed to inventory his estate. At Westopher, on 3 October 1688, Nathaniel Bacon -vs- Peter Read's estate was referred to the next court. Through the years and various wars, many records have been destroyed, so it is im!
possible to follow the court records of Peter Read's estate to a settlement.

Robert Bolling (1646-1709) was married to Francis Poythress'(2) niece, Jane Rolfe.

A Court Holden at Westover the third day February Anno Domini 1687/8, p.104.

Whereas Maj. Fra. Poythress, Cpt. Nich. Wyatt, Capt. Hen. Batte, & Mr. Robert Netherland, His Maj. Justices of the Peace of this county have utterly neglected their attendance at this court on his Majesties and the County's service, whereby the business of the county cannot be so fully and effectually persued in all respects, as if a full bench were present, we do therefore award the sd. Gent. and every one of them, such fine or fines as the law in this case directs unless reasonable excuse relieve them.

Court at the house of Major ffra. Poythress, Dec'd. this eight of January 1688, p. 188. Present: Capt. Lowry, Mr. Bra?, Capt. Batte, Mr. Bolling. "Administration with ye will annexed is granted Rebecca widdo of Major ffra. Poythress dec'd. have quitt claimed in what goods are now brought in Capt. Emberly's things belonging to Tho: and Joshua Wynne and it is consented yt they shall jointly possess ye same. Peter Perry

At a court holden at Westover 3 Aprill 1688, p. 121.

By absence of Maj. Fra. Poythress, sickness of Capt. Hen. Batte and death of Robert Netherland, the court is weakened. The Gent. request the Burgesses of this county to move his Excy that Mr. John Taylor and Mr. Robert Bolling be added to seat of Justices.

April, 168(8), p. 204. "Capt. Henry Batte, Mr. Robert Bolling, Mr. Jno. Hardiman are hereby assigned to value ye goods and chattles of Major ffra Poythress deceased & Capt. Perry is...to swear them...ye same at ye next Court."

Robert Bolling (1646-1709) was married to Francis Poythress'(2) niece, Jane Rolfe.

Assembled, April 19th, 1688, Burgesses from: Charles City: Peter Perry.

Rebecca Poythress/Bartholomew (c. 1643-d. aft 1711), wife of Francis Poythress(2)

In the Charles City County, VA Order book 1687-1688 at a court held at Westover 3 Dec 1688, p. 549: Testimony was elicited in the matter of the estate of Anne Young. "Henry Reed exhibits his bill in chancery against Charles Bartholomew and Rebecca his wife, Executrix of Maj. Poythress. Plt shows that one Ann Young, sister of the orator, dying intestate, in this county, before commission of administration was sent forth, Maj. Francis Poythress inventoried her estate and had it appraised at 5664 lbs. tobacco, and was thereof possessed. Thereafter, administration was granted to said Poythress and Peter Read, the orator's father. That the moiety that belongs to one of the orphans of Ann was in the custody of said Peter. That said Peter had of said moiety only a mare and a cow, to value of 950 lbs. tobacco. There remained in custody of Poythress 1,882 lbs. tobacco, but Poythress shortly afterward went to England and died, in the nonage of your orator, who begs recovery of 1,882 l!
bs. tobacco, and prays that Charles Bartholomew and Rebecca his wife be subpoenaed to answer. Francis Poythress had gone to England to purchase certain items and goods which were consigned to the ship owned by Emberly. The consigned merchandise was mixed in with those of the Wynne's.

(The Genealogical Connection of Rose Edwards):

Probate: December 3, 1688 at a court held at Westover, Henry Read and Dan Highdon, gave bond of L60 on the estate of John Young, orphan of Ann Young, deceased Later Henry Read was ordered to deliver to John Blacke what estate he was possessed with belonging to John Young, orphan of his sister Ann. Henry objected to this order and did not comply. It was "ordered that the Sheriff keep Henry Read in safe custody till he give security to appear at next court to answer what should be objected against him on his contempt of authority." Finally, "Henry Read stands convicted of Capt. Perry's warrant and now in open court makes his humble submission and begs pardon of court and Capt. Perry in particular, which court and Capt. Perry accept."

John Poythress (c. 1639-1712), son of Francis Poythress(1)

The action of John Poythress as marrying Christian, the daughter of Elizabeth Peebles, against Thomas Busby is by consent let fall in court, ye plaintiff avers that the land now claimed is within a plot sworn by him as the Boniwood plot, Charles City Co., August, 1689.

Rebecca Poythress/Bartholomew (c. 1643-d. aft 1711), wife of Francis Poythress(2)

"Hercules Fludd (Flood) 1,254 acs. upon Blackwater on E. side of Reade Br. 21 Apr. 1690 adj. William Harris, Adam Taplie, Capt. Henry Batts, Mrs. Francis Poythress and Major Francis Poythris on the long Meadow adj. the Ealeroot Level & import of 26 pers." Source: Nugent, II-344, p. 57. (Major Francis Poythress was dead by 1688).

Assembled, April 16, 1691, Burgesses from: Henrico: Wm. Randolph, Francis Epes.

Assembled, April 1, 1692, Burgesses from: Henrico: Wm. Randolph, Francis Epes.

Rebecca Poythress/Bartholomew (c. 1643-d. aft. 1711), wife of Francis Poythress(2)

Mrs. Rebecca Poythres. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants. Abstracted and Indexed by Nell Marion Nugent, Virginia State Library, Richmond, 1977. 1,000 Acres, Charles City County; 29 April 1692, Patent Book No. 8, 1689-95, p. 241.

Patent to Mrs. Rebecca Poythress, 1,000 acres, more or less, in Charles City April 29, 1692, escheated land being late in the tenure of Edward Ardington, deceased, by virtue of his own right and fee therein; found to escheat by inquisition under Peter Perry, Depty. of Christopher Wormeley, Esqr., Esch'r., etc.

(Flora B. Dotson): regarding the above patent:

Francis Poythress' widow, Rebecca, repatented the land that was part of his mother's inheritance and half of it was the inheritance of Elizabeth Eppes (who married William Worsham and Francis Eppes) and went to her son Littlebury and the other half to Francis' and Rebecca Poythress' daughters, Anne and Rebecca, who were minors in 1692 when Rebecca patented the 1,000 acres, which at one time had been in the family.

Charles Bartholomew, of Charles City County, Virginia, was born in 1662. He married Frances Tye, daughter of Richard Tye and Joyce, before 1693, in Charles City county, Virginia. He married Rebecca Coggin, daughter of John Coggin, Dr. and Joyce, on February 2, 1692/3, in Charles City county, Virginia. He died before December 11, 1721, in Prince George county, Virginia. Their children were: (1) Ann Bartholomew married Burwell Green in Virginia. She was born in Charles City county, Virginia. (2) John Bartholomew married Elizabeth (--?--) in Virginia. He was born in Charles City county, Virginia. He died before July 4, 1735, in Brunswick county, Virginia. His children: (1) Charles Bartholomew was born in Charles City county, Virginia.

A Court Held for Orphans at Westover 15 September 1692. p. 419. Capt. Peter Perry and Mr. Richard Bland to administer oath to Mrs. Rebecca Poythress, relict and Adm'x. with will annexed of Francis Poythress, late dec'd to make inventory.

Richard Bland (1665-1720) was the father-in-law of Anne Poythress (1712-1758), daughter of Peter and Anne Poythress. Where is this will that is mentioned?

Assembled, March 2nd, 1692/3, Burgesses from: Charles City: Capt. John Taylor, Capt. John Styth. James City County: Michael Sherman, Capt. Henry Duke.

Assembled, October 10th, 1693, Burgesses from: Henrico: Wm. Randolph, Francis Epes.

Rebecca Poythress/Bartholomew (c. 1643-d. aft. 1711), wife of Francis Poythress(2)

Probate: In 1694, Henry Read, still trying to protect his sister's children, sued Major Poythress' widow over the estate of Ann Young. Henry Read, exhibits his bill in chancery agst Charles Bartholomew, and Rebecca his wife, Executrix of Maj. Francis Poythress. Plt. shows that one Ann Young, sister of the orator dying interstate, in this country; before commission of administration was sent forth, Maj. Francis Poythress, inventoried her estate and had it appraised to value of 5664 lbs. of tobacco, and was thereof possessed. Thereafter administration was granted to said Poythress and to Peter Reed, the orator's father. That the moiety (part) that belongs to one of the orphans of said Ann was in custody of said Peter. That said Peter had of said moiety only a mare and a cow, to value of nine hundred fifty lbs. tobacco. There remained in custody of Poythress one thousand eight hundred and eighty two lbs. tobacco, but Poythress shortly afterward went to England and died, in the !
nonage (under legal age) of your orator, who begs recovery of one thousand eight hundred and eighty two lbs. tobacco, and prays that Charles Bartholomew, and Rebecca his wife be subpoenaed to answer. (Several questions follow to be asked of the Bartholomews' re this estate, one of which asks if Poythress had in his custody any of the estate of the orphan John, an orphan of Ann Young). The Bartholomews' were ordered to appear at the next court. Neither appeared, and the case was dismissed.The 1694 court records show that "Joan Young, orphan of Ann Young, being 15, chooses Henry Harman as her guardian." The Order Books of Charles City County, refer to Henry Harman many times. Perhaps Ann, wife of Peter Read, was a daughter or a sister of Henry Harman. The fact that Ann's daughter, Joan Young chose Henry Harman as her guardian although her uncle, Henry Read, was still living, suggests a close family relationship.

At a Court Holden at Westover 4th June 1694. p. 502

Sheriff is to summon Rebecca, "ye relict of Francis Poythress," to appear and answer information of an unlawful marriage to Charles Bartholomew.

At a Court Holden at Westover 4th June 1694. p. 503

Information is exhibited by the Attorney General, says 12th Act of Assembly says none shall be married but by minister, nor by them but by license and publishing banns. Laws of England say that none shall marry within certain degrees of consanguinity, especially none shall marry his wife's sister...

"14 June 1694. The Attorney General reported that on the 27th of April last, he took process at last County Court for Charles City vs. Charles Bartholomew and Rebecca, widow and relict of Major Francis Poythress, and John Moore and Elizabeth, daughter of Seth Perkins for their incestuous marriages etc."

p. 505 - At a Court Held at Westover the third day of July 1694, "John Jane Sworn That he knew Frances the 1st wife of Charles Bartholomew and knows Rebecca the Relict of Francis Poythress and that the sd. Frances and Rebecca were sisters always being the daughters of one mother..."

p. 505 - John Wynn Sworn Sayeth that from his childhood he knew the two women and that they were always taken for sisters both by one mother.

At a Court Holden at Westover 3rd day August 1694, p. 509.

William Randolph, Esq., Attorney General, brings case agst Charles Bartholomew, referred from last (repeats that Charles Bartholomew and Rebecca, wife of late Maj. Francis Poythress, were married in Westover Parish 2 Feb. 1693 by George Robinson of Bristol Parish, Henrico County, Clerk, and live together), Charles Bartholomew pleads not guilty to unlawful marriage. Jury Impanelled...

p. 505 - "George Robison Clerke sworn in Court Sayeth that he married the sd. Charles Bartholomew and sd. Rebecca 2nd Day of February 1693.....William Epes sworn also in the Court Sayeth he did see the sd. Charles Bartholomew and the sd. Rebecca married together the second of February in Henrico County." John Jane sayeth upon oath that he knew Frances and knows the sd. Rebecca and he married with one of the sisters of the sd. Rebecca and that he was told and took the sd. Rebecca and Frances to be sisters, that is to say the daughters of one mother but of divers fathers."

John Jane was a brother-in-law of Rebecca Coggin Poythress (abt. 1660-aft. 1711), daughter of John and Joyce Coggin.

p. 504-505 - "Thomas Blighton upon his oath sayeth that he frequented the house of one John Coggan in the lifetime of the sd. Cogan's wife and that he had often heard the sd. Cogans wife call the sd. Rebecca and Frances daughters and have heard the daughters owne them steppe sisters and always in the time of such his frequenting and ever since he reconed them sisters of the half blood..."

Jury sent out and William Harrison, foreman, brings in verdict of not guilty. Attorney General appeals to 4th day of next General Court. Sheriff to take Bartholomew to give sureties to live apart from Rebecca until suit settled.

Assembled, September 24, 1696, Burgesses from: Charles Goodrich, John Taylor.

Assembled, December 5, 1700, Burgesses from: Charles City: Richard Bland.

Assembly of 1700-1702. This Assembly first met on December 5, 1700, and, by successive prorogations, on August 6, 1701; May 13, 1702; June 18 1702, and August 14, 1702. It was dissolved on August 28, 1702. Session of May 13 and June 18, 1702: Charles City: Richard Bland, Jno. Wynn.

John Poythress(2) (c. 1639-1712), son of Francis Poythress(1)

Poythris, John 24 Oct. 1701, Charles City County, 350 acres on the North side of Nottoway river on the upper end of Umatora old fields....in Surry. Patents 9, 1695-1706, p. 396.

In 1701, John Poythress, Sr., of Deep Bottom, was credited with transporting Henry Snellgrove to Virginia: "Grant to John Poythress, Sr., of Deep Bottom, 350 acres lying on the north side of the Nottoway River, for the transportation of seven persons; John Lee, Robt. Boreman, Humphry Hix, Henry Snelgrove, Mary Drin, U. Standback, Wm. Lambud. 24, Oct 1701."

Assembly of 1702/3-1705. This Assembly first met on March 19, 1702/3, and by various prorogations, on April 20, 1704 and April 18, 1705. Session of April 20, 1704: Henrico: Wm. Randolph, Francis Epes. Charles City: Edward Hill, Benjamin Harrison.

John Poythress (c. 1684-1724), son of Francis Poythress(2)

Poythress, John 23 Oct. 1703, Charles City County, 609acres on the South side of James River, on the Blackwater. Beg. on the South side of the Blackwater, formerly granted to Francis Poythress, 9-28-1681. Patents 9, 1695-1706, p. 571.

Prince George County, Rent Roll 1704

Poythress, Francis Sr...1283; Poythress, Thomas.......616; Poythress, Jno Jr.......916.

Francis Poythress, Sr., Thomas Poythress and John Poythress, Jr., are supposedly the sons of Francis Poythress(2).

Session of April 18, 1705: Charles City: Edward Hill, Benjamin Harrison.

Session of April 24, 1706: Prince George: Richard Bland.

Richard Bland (1665-1720) was the father of Richard Bland (1710-1766), who married Anne Poythress (1712-1758), the daughter of Peter (c. 1684-?) and Anne Poythress.

Gov. Spotswood appointed Capt. John Poythres Sr. to serve with Colonel John Hardyman, Major Joshua Wynne and Captain Ffrancis Mallory as members of the Commission to investigate the Virginia-North Carolina line on 10-21-1707. They were to examine under oath "such ancient inhabitants of Prince George, Surry, Isle of Wight and Nansemond counties and discover the truth as to the said bounds between the said colonies." Also they were to ask the "ancient and intelligent indians of the Nottoway, Meherins and Nansemond nations," what they knew about the area. Among the old inhabitants of Prince George county deposing were: Robert Bolling, Gent. aged 61, who "hath known the Nottoway river for 37 years or more .. and "Major Wynn's quarter is on the sight of the old Nottoway Indian town."

Joshua Wynne (1661-1715) was the son of Robert Wynne (1622-1678) and Mary Frances Poythress.

Peter Poythress (c. 1684-), son of John Poythress (c. 1639-1712)

A Virginia Heritage by Eleanor Brown Merrill. This book was privately printed in 1968 and is in The National Genealogical Society Library. CS71.B88 1968 C.1 6417. Abstracted from pages 51 and 52:

Of Peter we record some facts principally because of the light they throw upon the time in which he lived. In 1711 he was sent to negotiate with the Tuscarora Indians, who had refused to join with other tribes in a widespread massacre, and who were urged to sign a peace treaty with the English in Virginia. His name appears in William Byrd's Secret Diary through a number of years, and it is surprising to see how much thought Byrd gave to food, in spite of what must have been a rather uninteresting diet! We read in his diary:

October 8, 1711...I said a short prayer and ate boiled milk for breakfast... It was agreed to send Peter Poythress (Indian trader and interpreter) to the Tuscaroras to treat them and to demand the Baron Graffenriedt who was prisoner among the Indians...January 21, 1712... Peter Poythress came to our house and brought me a letter from my brother Custis... He stayed and dined and I ate roast mutton for dinner...March 4, about twelve o'clock Mr. Poythress and Mrs. Ann B-k-r were married and about two we went to dinner and I ate some boiled tongue. We continued very grave till the evening and then we danced and were very merry...

March 11, in the evening Peter Poythress came with 14 of the Tuscorora Indians, whom he was going to conduct to the Governor... March 16, Peter Poythress came over and told me the Governor received the Tuscaroras very coldly and ordered them to go and help the people of Carolina cut off Hancock town, which they said they would...

May 16, 1720, Then came Mr. Poythress and dined (on boiled beef)...After dinner I settled some accounts with Mr. Poythress till 4 o'clock.. Sept. 19, 1720, about twelve o'clock came Mrs. Duke and her lawyer, Mr. Poythress, and dined with my brother and sister. Duke and I ate some pork collops. After dinner we sat and talked...In the evening we sat to drink several healths till 9 o'clock.

After some years the diary on July 26, 1741, notes that with others Mrs. Poythress came after dinner and stayed till the evening. Also in this month there was suit brought by Robert and Thomas Poythress, executors of their brother Joshua's estate, against Benjamin Harrison.

From the above we gather that Peter Poythress married Mrs. Ann Baker; they owned a water mill on Powell's Creek sold to them by John Hardyman, and had one daughter, Anne, who married Richard Bland of "Jordans;" the grandson of John Bland who in 1657 had acquired this tract of land from the first Benjamin Harrison's widow. A daughter, Christian Poythress, married John Fitzgerald and their daughter, Elizabeth, married Archibald Robertson; whence came the dual relationship of Susannah Peachy Poythress, whose aunt, Mrs. Richard Eppes of Appomattox Manor, is referred to later..."

On May 16, 1720, a John Poythress, attorney, came to Byrd's house. Is this Francis Poythress'(2) son or John Poythress'(2) son? The answer to this question will answer some future questions.

Rebecca Poythress/Bartholomew (c. 1643-d. aft 1711), wife of Francis Poythress(2)

The following two abstracts seem to indicate that Anne and Rebecca were either half sisters or step-sisters. Both of these abstracts use the maiden names of both Anne and Rebecca.

(Bruce Howard):

Prince George County, Wills and Deeds, page 70

We, Charles Bartholomew and Rebecca Bartholomew, for love and affection to our daughter Anne Bartholomew, after our decease, give her 200 acres on both side of Easterly Run in Westover Parish; being rest of 1,000 acres granted to said Rebecca in her widowhood, by escheat patent 29 April 1692; the moiety whereof is at present belonging to Col. Littlebury Epes, and 300 more whereof is given by us to Rebecca Poythress, by deed of gift to her this date. The 200 acres is bounded by said Rebecca's 300 acres...10 Sept 1711.

Witn: Jno. Woodlief, Rich'd Wallpole, Jno. (X) Denton Charles Bartholomew

Rebecca (X) Bartholomew

(Bruce Howard):

Prince George County, Wills and Deeds, page 76

I, Charles Bartholomew and Rebecca Bartholomew of Prince George County, for love and affection to our daughter Rebecca Poythress of same, deed 300 acres of land on a branch of Easterly Run in said county and Parish

of Westopher; being part of 1,000 acres granted to said Rebecca in her widowhood, and a moiety thereof presently belonging to Col. Littlebury Epes, bounded by innermost sides of said patent, path from Jordans to Blackwater, with all houses, etc. Quit rents to be paid by said Charles and Rebecca for two years. 10 Sept 1711.

Witn: John Woodlief, Rich'd Wallpole, Jno. (I) Denton Charles Bartholomew

Recorded 13 Sept 1711 Rebecca (X) Bartholomew

The above two deeds were witnessed by John Woodlief. There are three John Woodlief's that could have witnessed the deeds: John Woodlief (1673-aft. 1741) who married Mary Poythress (c. 1674-), daughter of John Poythress (c. 1639-1712); John Woodlief (1680-?), brother of Sarah Woodlief that married Richard Pace(5), son of James Pace(4); and, John Woodlief (1643-c. 1716), husband of Mary Wynne (1665-aft. 1707), daughter of Robert Wynne and Mary Frances Poythress.

(Prater/Walker Family Tree)

Littlebury Eppes(3) [son of Francis(2), son of Francis(1)], in l698, acknowledged receipt of his whole share of his father's estate. It would appear that the portion assigned to him on the division was that part of the estate which lay in Charles City County, as he remained a resident of that county. How he came to have a half interest in a tract of 1,000 acres of land patented in 1692 by Rebecca Poythress is not clear from existing records. He is listed in the Virginia Rent Roll of 1704 as having 400 acres in Charles City County and 833 acres in Prince George County. In 1705, he was a witness to the will of William Byrd (1st) of Westover. He was active for many years in the public affairs of his county, Sheriff, Burgess, and Colonel of Militia. His will was presented for probate in Charles City County, 1743, by his executor, Llewellyn Eppes, and proved by John Wayles, Richard Royall, and Littlebury Royall. He must have been between 75 and 80 years of age at his death. His w!
ife is said to have been a daughter of Daniel Llewellyn for whom the eldest son was named.

John Poythress (c.1639-1712), son of Francis Poythress(1)

Will of John Poythress (no date), proven 11 December, 1712.

In the name of God Amen I John Poytres Senr. of Pr. Geo County, Being of Sound perfect Disposeing minde & memory & Calling to mind The uncertainty of This mortall life Desireous to settle That Estate The Allmighty hath been Pleasd to bless me with all between my wife And Chilldren after my deseas doe make this my last will and Testament in manner & form following Provokeing all other wills by me hereto fore made.

Item. I bequeath my Soul to Allmighty God That gave itt Trusting in the merritts and Passion of my Blessed lord and Sviour Christ Jesus for pardon and Remission of all my Sins in generall Desireing that my body be decently Intred after ye manner of ye Church of England to the Discression of my Exrs. Hereafter named ass for my worldly Estate my debts being first paid I give & bequeath ye Same In manner & form following.

Item. I give my Son ffrancis Poythres all that Land & Plantacon I now lived on to him and his Heirs forever.

Item. I give my son David Poythes three Hundred Acres of Land att Tunnatorah to him and his Heirs forever.

Item. I give to my Son Josh Poythres three hundred Acres land at Monkanneck & to his heirs.

Item. I give my Son Robt Poythres Three Hundred Acres of land at ye Indian Swamp to him for his own proper use and behoof nott to make Sail of ye sd ffifty Acres of Land.

Item. I give my Son ffrancis Poythres Two negroes named Coffer & Sis.

Item. I to my son David Poythres two negroes named Jack and Young Mary.

Item. I give to my Son Joshua Poythes two Negroes named Betty & Beck.

Item. I give to my Son Robt Poythres two Negroes named Tom and Young Sarah.

Item. I give to my William Poythres Three negroes named ffrank Cook and Ame & frank Cook at nattuah.

Item. I give to my Son Jno Poythres two negroes & their increase named Bess & Nanny.

Item. I give my Son Peter Poythres two negroes & their Increase named Benn & nanny.

Item. I give to my Loveing Wife Christian Poythres three Negroes Named Catto Usse & Sarah to my loveing wife for Her Proper use and to be at her onw Disposeing.

Item. I give to my Daughter Eleva. Poythres two Negroes named Pegg and her son Tom.

Item. I give to my Daughter Christian Poythres two negroes named Moll and John Cook.

I give to my Loveing wife Christian Poythres my Servt. Jno. Ffeeld Dureing his time and at his freedom to have besides his Corn and Cloathes A Cow & Claf & a new Gunn.

Item. I give to my Daughter Mary Woodleif fforty pds Sterling.

Item. I give all my moveable Estate to be Equally divideed between my wife and Chilldren my son Jno Poythres & son Petr Poythres giving an acct. of wt they have in hand.

Item. I give to my granSon ffrancis Poythres & son of ffra Poythres ye negro Child ye Shu goes withall.

Item. I give to my Loveing wife Christian Poythres my two negro wences Shu & Jude as her own propr Estate to be at her own Disposing.

Item. I apoint my loveing wife & my Son Jno Poythres to be Exrs. Of this my last will and testament.

Item. I apoint my two Brothers Thomas & Joshua Wynne and William Stainback to be ye Deviders of my Estate.

Signed & Sealed in Present Signum of John Poythress (X)

Jno + Winninham (Winningham), Petr P Leeth, Tho T Leeth,

William Stainback

Att a Court held for Prince George County ye 11th December 1712.

The next before Written last Will & Testament of Mr. John Poythres decd. was Proved in Open Court by the Oathes of Jno. Winningham, Peter Leigth & William Standback Wittnesses Thereto & a Probt. Thereof granted Johne Poythres Exr. & Christian Poythres his relict & Exx. named Therein & Att Their motion The same is admitted to record.

What relationship are the Winninghams, the Leeths and the Stainbacks to the Poythresses?

Robert Poythress (1690-1747), son of John Poythress(2)

Robert Poythress appears in the records in 1713 when he was accused of furnishing ammunition to the Indians. (Ex. Council Col. Va. 3-366).

From The North Carolina Genealogical Society Journal, Volume XX, No. 2, May 1994, pg. 82.

This manuscript traces several Chickasaw Indian traders who lived along the Roanoke River near Plumtree (Mush) Island, the Occoneechee Neck, and Quankey Creek. Using the names of "Licensed Indian traders," a list of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina traders was created. A partial list includes Robert Long, Charles Hicks, John Brown, William Gilchrist, Abraham Colson, James Anderson, William Kemp, James Moore, Richard Hyde, John Sims, William Williams, and John Pettygrew. One of the first families to live at Sandy Bluff was the Turbevilles. North Carolina records show that between 1713 and 1726, the Turbevilles had lived on the Occoneechee Neck of the Morattuck (Roanoke) River (in present day Northampton County). In May of 1726, William and Walter Turbeville moved to Plumbtree Island (now called Mush Island in Halifax County). In addition to the Turbevilles and Colsons, many other families that had previously lived on the Roanoke River moved to Sandy Bluff. Among th!
em were the Gibsons, Chavis [Chavers], Goins [Goings], and Sweets [Sweat]. According to Gregg, Gideon Gibson was one of the wealthiest men at Sandy Bluff. He was also a "Free Man of Color." So were the Chavis, Goins and Sweat families. All four families were related by marriage. The Goins family had originally come from Virginia before migrating to North and South Carolina. (Goins Island is located at Lake Gaston on the Roanoke River a few miles up river from Hyde Island and Plumbtree Island). Chavis [Chavers], on the other hand, lived on the Quankey Creek, which is below Plumbtree Island. Gideon Gibson had lived near the Occoneechee Neck adjacent to land owned by Arthur Kavanaugh, Ralph Mason, and Richard Turbeville before buying land on Quankey Creek from Robert Long [Lang], a Chickasaw and Cherokee Indian trader. Long also owned land at Elk Marsh and Plumbtree Island. Long had received his land patents at Quankey Creek and Plumbtree Island on 1 March 1719/1720. According !
to Gregg, Gideon's brother, Jordan, went West with Daniel Boone. Benjamin Cutbirth (also known as Calvert/Colbert) was also a member of Daniel Boone's entourage. Robert Long and Gideon Gibson were not the only woodsmen who lived at Quankey Creek in North Carolina. Joseph Sims and James Moore also lived there. Like the Colsons and Turbevilles of Plumbtree Island, these woodsmen traded with the Chickasaws. During the off-season they often rested at Sandy Bluff before returning to North Carolina. In 1732, Joseph Sims and James Moore witnessed the selling of land between two men from Albermarle County, North Carolina, at Quankey Creek. A third witness was James Logan. William Williams, a former owner mentioned in the above sale, had traded with the Chickasaw Nations since the early 1720s. Peter Jones had accompanied Joseph Colson, Robert Hicks, Major Mumford, and William Byrd II during the survey of "Eden." "On the south side of the James below the mountains the frontier at this!
time was represented by the Welsh settlement on the Mcherrin; Col.Byrd's improvements on the Roanoke above Sandy Creek, including the three charming islands, Sapponi, Occoneechee and Totero; Major Munford's Quarter near-by; Col.Byrd's Land of Eden on the Dan and Major Mayo's Survey adjoining; Richard and William Kennon's grant on Cub Creek which supplied farmsteads for John Caldwell's Presbyterian Colony... Three years later, on 24 June 1724, Joseph Calvert bought an additional 250 acres from John Gray "on Morratuck River and Plumbtree Island adj. William Green, Near Foltera Fort." The lands bought by Colson/Calvert, and Turbeville on the north side of the Morratuck (Roanoke) River were near an Indian path leading to the courthouse in Brunswick County, Virginia, and to the plantation of Major Robert Mumford [Munford]. Further research revealed that the Turbevilles, Colsons, and Calverts worked for Major Robert Mumford of Brunswick County, Virginia, and with Thomas Whitmell.!
Major Mumford was a large land speculator and

the descendant of an Indian trading family. The Mumfords had traded alongside men like Abraham Wood, Benjamin Harrison, Robert Bolling, William Byrd I, Peter Poythress, and Robert Hicks since the late 1600s. The Turbevilles learned of the Occoneechee Neck on the Roanoke through their association with Arthur Kavanaugh and Major Robert Mumford. By 1712, both Kavanaugh and Mumford were large landowners in Virginia and North Carolina. Kavanaugh began selling his North Carolina patents in 1713 and Mumford acted as his attorney. Thomas Whitmell, the Indian trader, bought six hundred acres from Kavanaugh on the north side of the Morattuck River in 1715. Before moving to North Carolina, the Turbevilles sold land they owned in Prince George County, Virginia, to Peter Mitchell, an Indian trader and land speculator. (Mitchell lived high on the Roanoke River near the Caldwells and James Logan). Anderson was also an Indian trader and land speculator who worked with Mumford. Prior to 1722!
, Anderson lived with his family on the Occoneechee Neck of the Roanoke River. Before moving to the Roanoke River and the Occoneechee, Anderson had lived in Prince George County, Virginia. Prince George County records reveal that in the 1740 "Rent Roll of all the Lands held in the County," the following names were listed: Jno. Anderson, Lewis Green, Peter Jones, Peter Mitchell, Hubert Gibson, Coll. Bolling, Coll. Harrison, Arthur Kavanaugh, Francis Poythres, Sr., Dan'll Hickdon [Higdon], Coll. Byrd, Rob't. Hix, Robt. Munford, Rich'd. Turberfield, and Wm. Eppes. In 1722, Major Mumford and John Anderson were the first individuals to apply for a patent in present-day Mecklenburg County in Virginia. It was for "2811 acres in the fork of Cock's (now Poplar) Creek" and the Roanoke River. When Richard Turbeville and his family moved to North Carolina, they lived on the Occoneechee with other Chickasaw traders and next to Anderson, Colson, Pace, Mason, Gibson, Lang (Long), and Thoma!
s Whitmell. On 1 March 1720, the Lords Proprietors of North Carolina issued patents to Plumbtree Island and on the south side of Plumbtree Swamp abutting the island. These patents went to Thomas Whitmell, William Green, John Cotton, John Geddes, William Reeves, Barnaby Milton, and Robert Lang (Long).

Robert Poythress (1690-1747), son of John Poythress (c. 1639-1712)

Prince George County, Virginia, Court Orders 1714 - 1720. P. 4. Biggins vs. Short, 6 Jan 1714, Robert Poythres and Edward Epes on jury.

John Poythress (c. 1676-aft. 1724) and Robert Poythress (1690-1747), sons of John Poythress(2)

Prince George County, 8 Jun 1714, Deed (p. 18).

Wit: Rbt. Poythres, Edward Woodlief

From this deed, it would appear that John Poythress(3) inherited part of the grant to his grandfather, David Peebles.

Poythress, John, 23 March 1715, Isle of Wight County, 100 acres on the north side of the Maherin river. Beg.g &c. on the East side of the long meadow branch. Patents 10, p. 280.

Poythres, Thomas, 23 March 1715, Surry County, 180 acres on the North side of Nottaway river. Beginning and extending on the North side of the Woodyard swamp a little above the fork. Patents No. 10, p. 265.

These last two entries are made on the same day by a John and a Thomas Poythress. Are these two men sons of Francis Poythress(2)?

Joshua Wynne (1661-1715), son of Robert Wynne and Mary Frances Poythress/Wynne

Major Joshua Wynne (b. abt. 1663, d. abt. 1715) was an Indian interpreter in Colonial Virginia. He lived among the Indians in the Virginia Colony. In 1703, the Nottoway, Nansemonds, and Meherrin tribes requested that Joshua and his brother Thomas Wynne be appointed Indian Interpreters for the tribe. When a Chief of these tribes was taken prisoner by the Senecas, the Wynne brothers were begged to accompany the Indians on this long and dangerous journey, as without them "nothing could be accomplished." This journey was undertaken and their chief was retrieved, temporarily averting a tribal war.

Joshua Wynne married Mary Jones, the daughter of Maj. Peter Jones (Commander of the fort built at the falls near present day city of Petersburg, Va) and Margaret Cruse. Margaret Cruse was the step-daughter of Maj. Gen. Abraham Wood (commander of Ft. Henry and leader of first English expedition into the Mississippi valley). Gen. Wood was the official that negotiated the British fur trade with the Cherokee nation. Wood also testified against Nathaniel Bacon (leader of "Bacon's rebellion") who led a rebel army that massacred friendly Indians in colonial Virginia.

"On 29 March 1715 Major Joshua Wynne was shot and killed by Saponey Indians because one of Joshua's servants had killed one of the Indian's 'great' men. Upon trial of the Indian, they pleaded that the Wynne's were the aggressors and that they never rest without revenge. The Indians said that they and the Wynne's were then equal, each having lost a great man. To avoid more bloodshed the Indian was pardoned." [the Saponey or Saponi were of the Siouan linguistic stock, related to the nearby Tutelo tribe. They were unrelated to the Iroquoian speaking tribes Nottoway, Meherrin and the Algonquian speaking Powhatan Confederacy tribes (Pamunkey, Nansemond) that the Wynne brothers enjoyed friendly relations with.]

Joshua Wynne's parents were Colonel Robert Wynne and a former widow, Mary Frances Poythress (maiden name believed to be Sloman). Robert Wynne was speaker of the House of Burgesses and served longer than any man in Virginia's history, from 13 March 1661 to 1675. Robert died on 8 October 1675. His will, dated 1 July 1675 and proved 15 August 1678 at Jordan's Parish or Charles City (present Prince George County) shows an estate in Canterbury, England, of two houses and a farm, in addition to his 600-acre Virginia estate south of the James River.

Prince George County, Virginia, Court Orders 1714 - 1720. P. 255, 12 May 1715; The order that Elizabeth Duke Adm. of Henry Duke dced return an inventory of the said dced Estate is continued till the next Court.

This is Henry Duke and Elizabeth Taylor.

Prince George County, Virginia, Court Orders 1714 - 1720. P. 19, 14 Jun 1715. John Poythres among others listed present as a "gentleman justice" for the court. Typically, these gentlemen justices are listed as "present" at the recording of each monthly opening of the court.

Which John Poythress is this?

John Daniel died about 1715. Wife Mary Daniel. No issue listed in the Inventory of John taken in 12 July 1716. John was dead by 5 July 1715 when Mary (-------) Daniel, administrator of the will of John Daniel, presented the inventory of his estate taken by Roger Reese, Michael Rosser, and Thomas Kirkland. His estate accounts mention "orphans of Thomas Daniel, dec'd." Roger Reece Sr. and Jr. each held 100 acres in Prince George County in 1704.

Roger Reese (bef. 1683-aft. 1746) was husband of Mary Anderson (abt. 1692-bef. 1744), daughter of Thomas Anderson.

Prince George County, Virginia, Court Orders 1714 - 1720. P. 28, 6 July 1715. John Poythres among others present as gentl justice.

Prince George County, Virginia, Court Orders 1714 - 1720. P. 25, 12 July 1715. John Poythres among others present as gentl justice.

Prince George County, Virginia, Court Orders 1714 - 1720. P. 26, 12 Jul 1715; On the motion of Thomas Harrison it is ordered that his bond for the care and payment of the estates of two of the orphans of Robert Drayton dced be delivered out of the clerk's office, the estates being committed to care of Francis and Peter Poythres, guardians to the said orphans.
Can we safely assume that this Francis and Peter Poythress are brothers and that they are sons of John Poythress(2)? Are Francis and Peter Poythress guardians for their own nieces or nephews in this instance?
Prince George Wills and Deeds, P. G. B. 1715-1728, p. 63, July 12, 1715
Francis Poythress of the Parish of Westopher, County of Prince George, to Peter Grammar of same parish and
county, for L10, 100 acres in same parish and county, on Holly Bushes Branch on the line of Richard Pace, and said Poythress...
Wit: E. Goodrich, Wm Hamelin Francis Poythress
William Hamlin was the grandson of Stephen Hamlin and grandson of Richard Taylor and Sarah Barker. Edward Goodrich (1693-1720) was the husband of Margaret Wynne (1696-1723), daughter of Joshua and Mary Wynne.
This third in a series of Poythress Chronicles would end on a good note if the questions posed in the above abstracts were successfully and fully answered.

This thread: