PRESBYTERIAN-L Archives

Archiver > PRESBYTERIAN > 1999-07 > 0931298973

From: <>
Subject: Montreat, NC
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 18:09:33 EDT

Hi List,
Can someone answer some questions for me? I am writing the Historical
Foundation at Montreat. I know which Presbytery the church records I am
looking for would be in (North Alabama, late 1800's & early 1900's) and the
name of the church (Westminster) which is no longer in existence. I am told
they will do research for you. How do they charge? Also, how did
Presbyterians leaving one area achieve membership in a Presbyterian church in
their new location? I know some denominations gave (and still do) a "letter"
that they were members in good standing and they were more or less
automatically received into their new church. Did the old Presbyterians
follow this practice?

Appreciate any help!
Evelyn Leslie

This thread: