PRIDGEN-L Archives

Archiver > PRIDGEN > 2002-12 > 1039775695

Subject: [PRIDGEN-L] The Luke's
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 05:34:55 -0500

Corrections w/facts WELCOME!

Luke b a 1760-5 NC died abt 7 Jul 1817 Ga.
married 1783 Amelia "Milly" Bowen born 4 Mar 1782 Duplin Co. NC dtr
of Rev Sol. Clifton
& Martha Grandtr. of Clifton & Elizabeth Harris, next Samuel &
E.W. Wheaton, Obediah
& Mary

Children
Sarah 1789 m 1805 Benj. Lanier
Salitie Lucretia (Celete) 1789 Ga m 1811 Lewis Lanier
Anna m 1810 Moses Kirkland
Elizabeth m 1825 Lewis Green
Mark m Sara had twin girls
Luke m 1819 Elizabeth Doughtrey. He was deceased by Dec. 3 1830 1
dtr.known
Eleanor 1822 m 1836 Patrick Lanier
Susannah A. "Susie" m Joshua Woods

1782 Service Pay Mar.
1783 Duplin Co. Tax. List 1783-1815
1784 Jul 6 Service Pay Others
Moved from Duplin Co NC to Ga about 1790 per Records copied from
Folks Huxford Files-
Homerville Ga.

He probably had brother Mark and David... see below.
1790 RECONSTRUCTED 1790 CENSUS of GA by Marie DeLamar & Elizabeth
Rothstein
1805 Jury List Mark Pridgen Tatnall Co. Ga.
1817 Nevils Creek Baptist Church Bulloch Co. Ga. Church Minutes
Luke Pridgen deceased Roll of 1817 Box 31 Draw 30
Ass. Tax. Capt. Gillaspie's Capt Wallers Capt. Stallings
Luke Brigin 8
Clifton Bowen
Dan Bowen 45
Elijah Bown Sr 64
1817 Jul 17 Amelia Pridgen guardian of Susy Ann Bulloch Co. Ga.(wife of
Luke)
Luke and Mark are listed Effingham Co. Ga.in Huxford Records
1820 Census William in Mont Co. Ga.
1820 Census Records Bullock Co Ga David B NC a 1755-60 11***1*12*114
Also Amile *******1**19 Luke ***1*81*1**9
1820 census Telfair Co. Ga..Luke 1 m 1-10 1 16-26 1 26-45
2 f 1-10 1 10-16 1 26=45
Thomas Pridgen 1 m 1-10 1 26-45 2 f 1-10 f 10-16 1 26-45
David's Issue--heirs in 1827
Elisha
J m Jacob Summerlin
David
Linna
Mary
female m John Gay
(This is Winiford m 26 Apr 1825 Bulloch Co Ga by Elisha
Sumerline J.P. from Marriage Records of Bulloch Co Ga 1796-1875 by
Alvaretta Kenan Register
1971.)
female m James Holloway
female m Benj. Turner...
1827 David drew land in Lottery..residing in Bullock Co Ga.
Mannings--Washington--161-3-3 Sec. 3 Troup Co. Ga.
Elizabeth widow-Burnetts-Bulloch-257-3-1 Sec. 1 Lee Co.
Luke -orphans of Burnett's Bulloch 87-7-1
Matthew--Wilsons-Jasper 46-1-4 Sec. 4 Coweta Co.
Robert-Hammacks-Jones 41-9-2 Sec.2 Muscogee
1830 Census shows David in Bull, Edwin (Elavin) in Wsh, James and
William- ! ! Bts.
James in Hry, Roberts in Jones (mine) and Matthew in Cow.
1840 Census shows William in Carr, James in Harr, James in Deka, RJH, R
in
Rya, Robert in Macon (mine), Moses in Irwi. Edwin Wash.
1850 shows Robert in Macon (mine), Aniel (Amile) in Bull (also in 1820)
Nw in
Clar, James H in Wash,Edward in Wash, and E W in Baldwin.
To Schreven from Duplin after the Rev. War according to one record.

There was another Elizabeth Pridgen married to Thomas Beesley 6 Dec
1812
in Bulloch Co Ga. This would seem to place another Father there
also... as well as maybe a son
who stayed in Bulloch and later had children marry... WIlliam M m
Levonia Dixon 6 Apr 1871 by
Solomon Akins and Moselle married John A Waters 26 Nov 1874 by
Madison S Lanier JP...
Anyone interested in this Pridgeon family should study the Lanier
family of the same area. They
were JP's and grooms for this family several times.
He moved to Telfair Co. Came to Ga with Bowens from Duplin. Applied
to land the same day
together 5 Jul 1784. Pioneers of Wiregrass Ga. V2 P 41.

And on the above note..a Prodigy note from Gracy Waters Prodigy
BBJD03B on Jun 4 1993 says
there is Lanier info by Louise Ingersoll which included Pridgeon in
most libraries? She mentions
George W Pridgen in Coffee Co son of William and Margaret who later
moved to Irwin Co Ga.
From Pioneers of Wiregrass Ga Vol 1...now Berrien Co...present day
Coffee Co and that
George W married Mary Merritt dtr of Luke Merritt... I am not
sure if this family ties in since her
notes were on both.

1850 Census in Bulloch Co Census Index finds Mitchael Pridgeon and
Amila Pridgeon (note
different spelling here) -non head of household living with other
families-this latter from Larry
Wiggins,1400 L. Jefferson Dr. Homestead Fl. . 33035 who descends from
Luke Pridgeon.
Lines of Luke through Susannah and Salitie (however you spell it
((marriage record shows
Celete)) belong to Rebecca Lanier Lowe 2123 Howard Mill Rd N
Augusta SC 29841.

Notes of Judi Kelsey (Mrs David Kelsey Prodigy CVBT61A) say she is
the descendant of Duplin Co
Lewis Green Married Elizabeth Pridgen in Bulloch Co Ga 1825. Her
Father was David Luke of
Maybe Just Luke Pridgen of Duplin NC who m Amelia Bowen. David's
Father may have been a
James--no other info...except b 1775. Dated 11-18-93.

Jane Thompson Prodigy #VMHR65A in her July 94 Note sayd her ancestor
William had a letter to
Rev. War Pension Board that said his dtr. Elizabeth along with her
husband Abram Sellers, his
grandson Luke, the son of his son Matthew, and his grandson Mark,
the son of his son John and
others from Bladen took off to Ga and Al...so we have siblings
John, Elizabeth and Matthew and
first cousins

Mark Pridgeon, Abram Sellers and Luke Pridgen going to Ga and Al. I
am going to assume that
this Luke born 1775.

Pedigree of Berta H. Johnson P O Box 415 Cross City Fl 32628 shows
her descendant of
Benjamin Lanier and Sarah Pridgen.

Others:

1860 Ga Index
Arvilla Bull
E W Bibb
Edwin T Wash
George Coff
Isaiah Bull
Mitchel Bull
Thomas C Musc
Robert Tayl
Ann Chat
Enoch G Irwi
Jemima Irwi
William Irwi
James R Tayl
(Robert is my ancestor with James Ruffin being his son)

Query of Mrs. M.F. Gross Box 297 Alamo Ga 30411 Family Puzzlers #1109
page 13 Jan 20, 1990 (I wrote her Jan 25,90, and she NEVER ANSWERED)
Needs Information on Mitchell Pridgen of Bulloch Co Ga who m Rebecca
Bland dtr of Wm. Bland of NC. Mitchell d 1861 in Civil War..Their known
children were:
James b 1843
William Madison b 1846 m Louvenia Dixon 1871
Adeline b 1854
Moselle b 1857 m John A Waters
Would like any inforation on Pridgen family of Bulloch Co (and I sent
her all I had..still no reply) Who were David,James and Luke Pridgen who
received land grants in Bulloch Co in 1805. Luke m Amelia Bowen. Are they
related to
Mitchell?
Other Pridgens were in Montgomery Co Ga in 1823. William was a JP, Luke
and
Thomas F Attended court that year. Was Mark Pridgen of Telfair Co related
Mitchell?

Probably a Brother to Luke is James Pridgeon b 1775 who was in Burke Co
Ga
1820.
He had sons Luke,Mark or Bullock and Madison Co Ga..had sons David and
William..? These notes are not clear. Line follows son David b 1805
who was
in Madison Co 1850 m #1 Wealthy and #2 Sara who had son John E Pridgeon.

1805 Family Heads of Ga..Mattox (to be filled in later..gotta LOOK!)
Time line Pridgeon-Pridgen-many other spellings
1808 Nathaniel brought here by Parents--born Montgomery Co NC He was four
years old. Father William? Baldwin Co 1812.Nathaniel married Polly
Willoughby
dtr. of Wm. in Clarke Co Ga. He owned land Coweta, Oconee and Morgan Co.
Ga. (note later Baldwin property sale)
1812 William on Tax record
1820 John, Luke,David,Luke,Thomas,Wm in Ga
1827 Robert (who had to be an adult by this time) sold land in Jones Co
Ga.
FORMERLY BALDWIN Jan 14th.
(to be filled in later)

Bertha J Johnson P O Box 415 Cross City Fl. 32028 also has one of these
early
Ga Pridgen's. (I'll add which one later-not on this chart I worked up)

All records agree that Francis Pridgen of old Pridgen's Point Chowan
Prct.
Chowan NC is the first ancestor...b 1666.
One of his known children was Matthew b 1692.
One of Matthew's known children was William b Jan 27 1732 in Duplin Co
NCd
1855 Rev. Sol..Yes, over 100 years shown on record..who married Sarah
Elizabeth Taylor/ Known children Mary,Sarah,Thomas, John, Frances,
Hannah,Elizabeth, Matthew, and WIlliam.
Frances m Mary SIkes, Elizabeth m Richard Johnson.
Line follows John Frederick b a 1794 New Hanover m Mary Jane Moore and
their 18 children..Line of Jane Thompson 3206 Cherry Tree Lane Prez Raca
Ky 40059
Have letter of Nov 6, 1928 from Katie B Pridgen of Albermarle NC
regarding
pension file of Wm b 27 Jun 1732 Duplin...when he enlisted etc.
Have note from Jane Thompson Jul 94 says her line is Frances, Matthew d
1798,
Frances b 24 Oct 1794 , John Frederick b 24 Oct 1794 , Charles B ca
1829-9,
Luther Wright b a 1870 New Hanover Co NC, Robert Wright b SC 1898.
Jane in in Ky. From 1920 Sou Gen. Exch Quarterly Allen Wright Pridgen b
10 Mar 1814 NC d 1877 Coffee Co Al m Sara Elizabeth Johnson Mrs.
Christeen O Connell Rt 2 Box 636 Dade City Fl. 33525.
Jane's Prodigy # was VMHR65A..and I say was because I am no longer on.
William was of Isle of Wight from Linconshire Eng 1674.
Frances had other children William,John and Hardy on one chart. FGS shows
Frances b 15 Dec 1760 Bladen which was taken from New Hanover Co 1758
m 20 Oct 1790 d 21 Nov 1840 New Hanover m Mary Sikes dtr John of Bladen
Co and Mary Meredith...children Frances,Jeptor,John Frederick, Isiah
Peter, Francis Melvin,Matthew, Mary,Anna,Thomas Jefferson, Elizabeth,Wm
Stephen,
Hannah,Jane,Alfred S and James Jackson.
Then we carry Frances line to William and Mourning, Thomas and Martha
Ruffin
..Thomas b 1740 d 1790 Dubbs Co NC Pvt NC and his son Ruffin m 1791
Dorcas
Smith to children Ethelred, Nancy, Smith,Thomas,Winnifred...
Etheldred b 1792, Nancy b 1798 Smith b 1802 etc.

Deed Bulloch Co Ga Records..Pg 206-7 19 Sep 1809 R 2nd Nov 1809 Luke
Pridgen, planter, Bulloch Co Ga sold to Jesse Slater, same for $218, 109
acres alid out from a tract of 150 acres granted to said Pridgen. Signed
Luke Pridgen and Amelia Pridgen.
Wit: John Everitt, J and Arthur Kerby.
Pg 207-8 28 (month omitted) 1808 R 12 Nov 1809 Luke Pridgen sold to Jesse
Slater for $500, 250 acres. Signed Luke and Amelia Pridgen. Wit. Arthur
Kerby,George M Henderson.
Of This family is WIlliam Arnell Pridgeon b 11 Nov 1910 Maysville NC m 4
Dec
1940 Kingston NY Augrey Doris Le Ferver b 11-24-1911 issue Wm Pridgen b
20 Sep 1942, Russel Eugene Pridgen b 9 Oct 1943 Barbara Gail Pridgen b 31
Mar 1950..in notes of Berta Johnson of Cross City Fl Sep 20, 1994.
Line of Larry Wiggins 1406 L LJefferson Dr Homestead Fl 33035 and Rebecca
Lanier Lowe 2123 Howard Mill Rd N Augusta SC 29841. (2 dtrs.)
Luke Pridgen received in Effingham Co. 300 acres in 1794, in Screven Co.
250
acres in 1798 Bullock Co 65 acres in 1801.
Clinton Sampson Co NC COurt House Records Bk 12 p 186 Luke Pridgen bought
land--from Kate Bunn Pridgen of Charlotte NC.
Duplin Co NC Marriage Records Luke Pridgen married Elizabeth Mathis 20
Jul
1810
Cherokee Gold Lottery in Ga 1832 Luke listed in Bulloch CO.
>From Dorothy Ann Folmar Oct. 11, 97 says one Luke of
Bulloch was deeded land by his father William Pridgen. Since the Other
Luke is his son, This Luke is probably the son of William.!He went to Ga.
according to Grandfather.
DAR #60384 NC Rev. Sol. Patriot Index.
Probably his line....James and Mitchell of Bullock Co. Ga. CSA.

Carol on Pridgen list says a marriage for Elizabeth Pridgen and Thomas
Burley Dec. 6 1812 license issued Bulloch Co. Ga. Marriage of Winifred
to John Gay 26 Apr 1829
Luke Jr. son of Luke
Notes
Marriage listed in Hunting for Bears.
Enoch Fagan J.P. From Marriage Records of Bullock Co Ga 1796-1875 by
Alvaretta Kenan Register 1971.
1820 listed in Bulloch as 18-26 wife 16-26 child under 10 and 9 slaves.
Federal Census Dale Co Al... male 5-10, 15-20,50-60,
females 5-10 (2), 10-15, 15-20, 40-50 ???
Also Amile Pridgen and David Pridgen.
Note from Carol on Pridgen list says one Luke was deeded land by his
father William Pridgen in Bulloch.
___________________________
Luke son of Matthew abr 1755-1820 Sampson- no more on

____________________________________
and I have no other Luke's-- maybe we can have an exchange on these??

Gerry Hill- Albany Ga.

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 20:32:19 -0800 "RLyman" <>
writes:
> [...]
> and Margaret as possible siblings, although I have not yet had an
> opportunity to do any research along those lines. I believe that
> William Pridgen and Moses Pridgen went to Georgia along with the
> Miller and Johnson group (11 or so families) who went to Georgia.
> This group seems to have been from the Sampson County, NC area,
> which would make them possibly descendants of Old Man William (Old
> Man William is living with Elizabeth Johnson in 1840 in NC).
>
> D. William Pridgen, Nathaniel Waller Pridgen, Sophia Waller
> Pridgen, etc., are definitely descendants of William Pridgen, died
> Edgecombe 1762.
>

> QUESTION 2. LUKE PRIDGEN
>
> A. There are so many Luke Pridgens out there whose descendants are
> unknown that I couldn't begin to guess if one of them is an uncle or
> father of Allen, Moses, and Margaret. My notes about the following
> Luke Pridgens are really rough, but they do indicate the presence of
> several Lukes.
>
> B. Luke Pridgen of Bulloch, GA, wife Amelia, dau Susannah, dies
> before 1820 in GA.
> C. Luke Pridgen of Bulloch, GA, 16-26 years old 1820 census
> D. Luke Pridgen who married Elizabeth Mathis in 1810 in Duplin, NC
> and dies 1817
> E. The Luke Pridgen(s) you mention as being in the 1830/1840 AL and
> GA censuses
>

> QUESTION 3. N.W. PRIDGEN, WIFE MARY A., AND NATHANIEL WALLER
> PRIDGEN, WIFE POLLY WILLOUGHBY.
>
> I think these two men are the same with Polly being a nickname for
> Mary. His birthplace is not consistently given in the census years,
> but I would go with the one he gives when he preaches his own
> funeral and says he was born 9 April 1804 in Montgomery County, NC.
>
> 1850 Clarke, GA
> N. W. Pridgeon, 49, AL
> Mary A., 49, GA
> Elizabeth, 22, GA
> Ethel D?, 18, GA
> Alice, 16, GA
> James P., 14, GA
> Alonzo D., 13, GA
> Martha, 11, GA
> Alva C., 9, GA
> Ward Taylor, 4, GA
>
> 1860 Clarke, GA
> N. W. Pridgeon, 55, NC
> Mary, 58, GA
> Olif M, 25, GA
> Ward, 13, GA
>
> 1870 Clarke, GA
> N. W. Pridgeon, 66, GA
> Mary, 70, GA
>
> 1880 Morgan, GA
> James M. McLory, 34, GA
> Elizabeth, 30, GA
> Paul D., 7, GA
> Kate, 3, GA
> Nathanel Pridgeon, 76, GA
> Suffronia, 50, GA
>

> This is only a quick summary. A lot of information about these
> families has been contributed in the past by others who have done a
> lot of research along these lines. If anyone has differing thoughts
> about the above, don't hesitate to let everyone on the list know.

http://www.gencircles.com/users/gerryinga2/data/6
Abercrombie,Armour,Aven (2),
Aycock,Breedlove,Brown,Cannon,Causey,Chappell,
Cheshire,Collinsworth,Faison,Goodwin,Gray,Hale,Hooks,Jenkins,Lamar,
McMichael,
Musgrove,Merritt,Owen,Pridgeon,Raines,Riley,Roberts,Scarborough,Underwood

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

This thread: