PRISONS-UK-L Archives

Archiver > PRISONS-UK > 2008-04 > 1208353337

From: "Heather, Chris" <>
Subject: Re: [PRISONS-UK] Gillingham prison Kent
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:42:17 +0100

Hi Lisa

The National Archives in Kew has lots of collections concerning prisons and prisoners covering England and Wales, most of which are NOT searchable online. Take a look at these:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=120

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=154

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=253

You can either visit them to do you own research, or hire a researcher to do it for you. They have lists of researchers here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/gettingstarted/paid_research.htm?source=ddmenu_research2

If you want the staff to undertake a brief search they can do so for you (for a fee):
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documents/ifa_l5_tracingc18toc20_criminals_sk.pdf

I hope this is helpful.

Chris Heather