PRUSSIA-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > PRUSSIA-ROOTS > 1999-02 > 0919947846

From: "Fritsche, Juergen" <>
Subject: [PRUSSIA-ROOTS-L] German Dialects
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:04:06 +0100

PRUSSIA-ROOTS-
> writes:
>
> > Hi Patty,
> >
> > I just got it: Asch (pronounced: Ah-sh) bei Hof is the town As
(pronounced:
> > Ah-sh, too; the "s" of As has an accent on it's top which looks like a
> small
> >
> > "v", this Slavic character is pronounced "sh") in the northwesternmost
> > corner of
> > the today's Czech Republic. Asch is situated 20 miles southeast of Hof,

> > Bavaria,
> > very close to the German border, at which nearest part is situated the
> world
> >
> > famous town of Selb where since centuries they produce finest
porcellain.

> > Remark: as the map shows, this area NEVER belonged to Prussia nor to
> Germany
> >
> > either (it was Bohemian territory since centuries), whereas Hof
belonged to
> > the
> > Fuerstentum Bayreuth (Principality of Bayreuth) which at several times
> > (1420-1440, 1470-1486, 1791-1806) was a Prussian territory (the
Bayreuth
> > princes
> > were relatives of the Brandenburg House of Hohenzollern) within the
German
> > Empire.
> >
> > Glad I could help you again!
> >
> > Jurgen
> >

> Jurgen -
>
> Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! You have solved my mystery and I am
now
> hopeful of finding parents and siblings now that I at least have a
starting
> place. It sure would have been nice if when they asked the question of
place
> of birth on the census reports, if they had been more specific than
"Prussia"
> or "Germany". I guess back then they didn't know how many problems they
would
> cause their descendants when we tried to find out more about them!
>
> This is more of a historical/background question, rather than straight
> genealogy: Jurgen, or anyone else, do you know: if her husband, Julius
> Valentine PAUBEL, was from Suhl, in Thüringen (he was born in 1838 and she
in
> 1850), would they have spoken in the same dialect of the German language.
> am wondering how all of these people ever understood each other if they
all
> came from so many different parts of Germany with different words having
> different meanings. Or would it have been more like in the U.S. where
people
> from Minnesota would have a different accent than people from Texas?
>
> And, again, Jurgen, I cannot thank you enough for solving my mystery!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Patty Frazer
>
> St. Louis, MO, USA

Hi Patty,

they didn't speak the same dialect, indeed.

The Suhl dialect is Thuringian which is similar to the Upper Saxonian
dialect. Those dialects belong to the dialect group of the Mitteldeutsche
Dialekte (Central German dialects), like Rheinpfälzisch (the dialect of the
Rhine Paltz etc.), Rheinhessisch (Hessian, Thuringian), too.

The Asch dialect must be similar to the dialect spoken in the near Bavarian
Oberfranken (Upper Franconia) region. The Franconian dialect, together with
the Bavarian (this is also the Austrian and Südtirol (South Tyrolian, in
today's northern Italy) dialect), Swabian and Alemannian (this is also the
Schwytzer Dytsch / Swiss German and the Elsässische / Alsacian) dialect,
belongs to the group Oberdeutsche Dialekte (Upper German dialects).

You may want to have a look at a geographical overview of the German
dialects which you can find somewhere on a page of
http://w3g.med.uni-giessen.de/~geneal/bin/.

People coming from different dialect groups generally *are* able to
understand each other. But the must try to speak slowly and clearly. Most
word are the same, they only sound more or less different when spoken in
dialect. Also it always should be possible to everybody to explain words the
other persons is not able to understand.
What I meant in former post, telling people who come from different regions
could *not* understand each other, concerns those who are absolutely not
able or willing to speak clearly.

I know it's not that easy to understand this linguistic situation here, but
it's as hard to explain it so that a non-native speaker can imagine a little
bit what "German dialect" means. Hope I could explain it that way.

Jurgen

Jürgen Fritsche
/
Please answer via the LIST.
Remember that MANY people probably could solve your problems better than
only ONE. Thank you!
Only if you have a more private problem, mail me directly by using BOTH of
the above shown addresses to be sure to reach me wherever I am.

Searching on for

FRITZSCHE / FRITSCHE from the Unstrut-Saale area (Freyburg - Querfurt -
Eisleben - Halle) in southernmost Sachsen-Anhalt (part of former Electorate
of Saxony)
Locations: Kalzendorf/Calzendorf, Steigra, Reinsdorf
[today Kreis (County) Merseburg-Querfurt, Bezirk (District)
Halle
on Saale, Bundesland (Federal State) Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany]
Eisdorf, Koellme/Coellme, Holleben, Asendorf
[today Kreis (County) Lutherstadt Eisleben, Bezirk (District)
Halle
on Saale, Bundesland (Federal State) Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany]
Searching on for Huguenot ancestors
GERBERT / GERVERT / GEEVERT / GERBER in the Prignitz area, northwestern
Brandenburg (former Electorate of Brandenburg), prior to 1686
Locations: Rohlsdorf, Halenbeck
and
VERIJAN / VERIJEAN / VIRIAN / VIRJAN (Huguenot names? Pastor Joachimus V.
born
in 1618
in the town of Salzwedel, Brandenburg)