PSRoots-L Archives

Archiver > PSRoots > 2006-07 > 1151788992

From: Diane Hettrick <>
Subject: Woody Guthrie songs
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 14:23:12 -0700

Perhaps some of you who are in Snohomish County would be able to go to
one of these performances. I knew that Woody Guthrie wrote "Roll On,
Columbia, Roll On" - I think that every child in the Northwest is
required to learn that song! But I didn't know about the rest. I
wonder if there were historical references or names in the songs.
Maybe someone's ancestors were immortalized by Woody Guthrie!

This is from the ezine of the Sno-Isle Library Association:

What's Happening @ Your Library
In 1941, Bonneville Power hired folksinger Woody Guthrie to write
songs to promote public power for the new dams being built on the
Columbia River. Woody traveled up and down the river for thirty days
and wrote 26 songs. This important slice of Washington State history
comes alive in this one hour presentation with "Woody" portrayed by
Carl Allen, leading the way. Funded by the Sno-Isle Libraries
Foundation in recognition of the Nysether Family, the first donor to
the More to Explore Endowment campaign supporting library collections.

Stanwood Library • Thursday, July 13th • 10:30am
Snohomish Library • Saturday, July 22nd • 2pm
Marysville Library • Saturday, August 12 • 2pm
Monroe Library • Tuesday, September 26th • 7pm

Their web site is: http://www.sno-isle.org/

Diane Hettrick

This thread: