PolandBorderSurnames-L Archives

Archiver > PolandBorderSurnames > 2005-02 > 1109108008

From: Roman <>
Subject: Re: [PBS] traductions
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:33:40 -0500

Fred and others,

The most amusing part of the note is the attempt by a computer
program to translate that quote and the silly result it obtains.

The quote is a very famous one and has been around about as long
as the United States. We render it here with the correct
Polish characters.

A niechaj narodowie wżdy postronni znają, iż Polacy nie gęsi, iż swój
język mają.

Mikołaj Rej (1505–1569) , „Do tego, co czytał” (1562)

Nicolaus Rej is considered the Father of Polish Literature. You will
find a short bio on him (in Polish, of course) at

http://ksiazki.wp.pl/katalog/autorzy/autor.html?id=62361

The quote has been acknowledged many times within the typical phrase
"Polacy nie gęsi, iż swój XXXX mają" where XXXX = "język" has been
replaced with just about anything to get "Poles are not geese,
they even have their own XXXX."

Roman

[Set your mail reader to use Unicode(UTF-8)character encoding
to render the Polish characters correctly,]

wrote:

>> "A niechaj narodowie wzdy postronni znaja, ze Polacy nie gesi, iz
>> swój jezyk maja". But let's outside know nationally always, that
>> poles not goose, that has language . Mikolaj Rej z Naglowic"

This thread: