PolandBorderSurnames-L Archives

Archiver > PolandBorderSurnames > 2007-06 > 1181423733

From: "Terissa Schor" <>
Subject: Re: [PBS] ANCESTORS
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:15:33 -0400

If this is, in fact, the correct family, and franz is one of the sons, you
might be able to find a great deal by tracking him...

"How did Amy Lowell come across this Bagatelle before 1914? There is no
record of a performance in the United States at such an early date. We know,
however, that Lowell visited London in 1913 and again in 1914, just before
the outbreak of World War I. Bartók himself was not in England in those
years, but there was a German-born pianist living in London by the
name of *Franz
Liebich*, who made recent Hungarian music something of a specialty, as
Malcolm Gillies tells us in his book Bartók in Britain.2 Amy Lowell could
well have been introduced to Bartók's music at one of Liebich's recitals."