QUAKER-BRITISH-ISLES-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-BRITISH-ISLES > 2008-10 > 1224351834

Subject: [Q-B-I] WILKINSON Sedbergh, WRY & Quaker connections
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:43:54 EDT

My emigrant ancestor, Thomas W. Wilkinson b. 1767 Sedbergh, Yorkshire,
settled in White Co, IL, where he died in 1840; he was the son of Robert Wilkinson
of Sedbergh. Recent research has shown that Robert's wife was Mary Robinson
(not Mary Wilson, as once reported), b. 1739 Ravenstonedale, Yorkshire, the
daughter of Anthony Robinson and Elizabeth Wharton of Ravenstonedale. Robert and
Mary were married 2 Mar 1767 at Ravenstonedale. They had three known children:
Thomas W., Anthony and William Robinson.

Anthony Robinson, father of Mary, was b. abt 1705; his father was John
Robinson, who was left funds by his uncle, Anthony Robinson of Ravenstonedale,
Quaker, in 1710. John had children: Anthony, Ralph, John, Oswald and Jennet.

Anthony Robinson was friends with George Fox (found of the Society of
Friends); one of his pulpits is very near the Wilkinson home of "Hole House" on the
Lune River in Sedbergh.

Does anyone know more about this Quaker connection? I don't know how many of
the Robinsons were Quakers or if any of the Wilkinsons were.

Eleanor Rayl

New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out