QUAKER-BRITISH-ISLES-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-BRITISH-ISLES > 2010-03 > 1267454996

From: "lfenimore" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-B-I] Any Quakers in Britain on this list: FENIMORE
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:49:56 -0500

I am interested in the Fenimores of Buckinghamshire.

HENRY FENIMORE bap 10 Dec 1637 at Tingewick is perhaps the same man as HENRY
FENIMORE the "Old Quaker" who attended the Westbury Meeting & whose name
appears as a witness to marriages there.

He died 16 May 1720 and was buried 19 May 1720 at Whittlebury, NTH [where he
was described as the Old Quaker].

The reason I think he is from Tingewick is because Richard Fenimore bap 10
Mar 1632 at Tingewick was also a Quaker. He married 4 Feb 1672 at the
Banbury Meeting [OXF] Mary Crick/Crook of Adderbury, OXF. Richard emigrated
to New Jersey before1680, along with a group of Quakers from the southern
part of Northamptonshire.

HENRY and Richard were the sons of Richard Fenimore and Mary Nelson who
lived in Tingewick, BKM - the Fenimores were originally from nearby Newton
Purcell in OXF.

Another Fenimore Quaker connection may be found in a contemporary Fenimore
family [who may be cousins] from the Sherrington/Newport Pagnall area of
BKM. Henry Fenimore* md 27 Dec 1659 Frances Cleyton at Chicheley, BKM. A
Frances Cleyton was bap in 1626 at Tingewick and a family with this name is
also connected to the Adderbury family of the Quaker Mary [Crick/Crook]
Fenimore. [*this is not the Old Quaker]

25th 12th mo 1672 Frances Fenimore, widow, of St. Olaf's in Southwark md
George Deacon of Horselydown,Southwark Meeting Records. George Deacon and
Frances [?Claydon] [Fenimore] Deacon were members of the Burlington, New
Jersey, Monthly Meeting along with Richard Fenimore from Tingewick.

As the name Frances Fenimore is not common, it is very possible that the
Henry Fenimore who md Frances Cleyton in 1659 has died and his widow is the
woman who marries in 1672 at the Southwark Meeting.

One of HENRY FENIMORE's daughters, Ann, was herself married in London:

"Ann Fenimore of Old St., d/o Henry of Wesbury, Bucks married Thomas Ubank
of Peel St. John St., 24th 1st mo 1695 [London & Middlesex Records."

Other HENRY descendents remained in Westbury and can be found in parish
records there.

Does anyone have a connection to these families? Tingewick, Westbury and
Whittlebury are very close to each other, while Newport Pagnall and Banbury
are not far off.

I have looked at:

Banbury, OXF MM records
Northampton MM records 1647- [LDS film # 811721-3]
Abstracts of the 'upper side of BKM' MM 1669-1676 [LDS 441394]
Upperside, BKM 1656- [LDS 917049 - mainly trying to cover possible BKM mtgs]
BKM Quarterly Meeting 1658-1812 [LDS 814826, 814828]
Biddlesdon Meeting [LDS 814830]

Any other suggestions? I need records before, say, 1720. I have also
looked at a lot of London meeting records.

Thanks,
Liane Fenimore

This thread: