QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1996-10 > 0846440686

From: "Max Maxfield" <>
Subject: Re: Help!
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 13:24:46 -0500

You all are right, to a point. I have just completed the OCRing of a copy
of a copy of a copy, and it was no little effort even with printed text.
There is no reliable writer-intependent handwritten ocr software other than
a human, and many of them have trouble. As for the space problem,
typically what I do with stuff is get as good a picture as I can, the
software creates BMP files, then convert it to JPG compressed files. They
give good imagry in the least space that i've seen.

But I must say, typing in very much does not appeal to me.

----------
> To: Quaker Roots discussion list <>
> Subject: Re: Help!
> Date: Sunday, October 27, 1996 1:02 PM
>
> Bill is right! Scanned text, unless your scanning software includes OCR
> convert the scan to text, takes up an enormous amount of space. OCR
(optical
> character recognition) does not always work perfectly and generally
cannot
> handle anything but neatly typed text, but it might still be helpful. The

> problem with scanned text left unconverted is that not only does it take
up a
> lot of room, but will also take forever to load in a browser. I'm far
more
> interested in the content of old documents than their appearance so
converted or
> transcribed text would be my preference.
>
> Mary
> Sponsor,Chester County Genealogy PA GenWeb
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~pacheste/chester.htm
> Sponsor, Delaware County Genealogy PA GenWeb
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~padelawa/delaware.htm
> Sponsor, Mifflin County, PA GenWeb
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~pamiffli/mifflin.htm
> Sponsor. Juniata County, PA GenWeb