QUAKER-ROOTS-L ArchivesArchiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1997-10 > 0876346457
From: Michael Milton Mason <>
Subject: Gwynedd, Exeter, Oley MM minutes
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:34:17
I do not have the means to acquire Hinshaw's, nor the Gwynedd MM minutes.
There is too much conflicting info. available ref. the BOONEs-- their
whereabouts and activities. I feel severely hampered in getting at the
I'm not sure, but I believe the only pertinent entry in the Gwynedd MM
minutes would be of the marriage of Squire & Sarah (MORGAN) BOONE, Sr. in
My understanding is that all of Squire & Sarah (MORGAN) BOONE's childrens'
births were recorded at the Exeter MM (or was it Oley MM?), beginning with
Sarah in 1720, and including "the" Daniel BOONE in 1734-- before they
migrated in 1750. Can you confirm that? More ideally, could you provide
me with the precise entries?
This is what someone sent me, with some additional info. in [brackets]--
none of the dates are conflicting (one Old Style, the other New Style); but
often the other bracketed info. is conflicting (OT = Oley Twp., ET = Exeter
Twp., PC = Phila. Co., BC = Berks Co.-- part of OT became ET in 1741; part
of PC became BC in 1752):
1. Sarah [Sarah Cassandra], b. 29 4mo 1742 in OT, PC [29 Apr 1724 in ?];
2. Israel, b. 9 3mo 1726 in OT, PC [9 May 1726 in ?];
3. Samuel [Samuel J. Sr.], b. 20 3mo 1728 in OT, PC [20 May 1728 in Bucks
4. Jonathan, b. 6 10mo 1730 in OT, PC [6 Dec 1730 in BC];
5. Elizabeth, b. 5 12mo 1732 in OT, PC [5 Feb 1733 in BC];
6. Daniel, b. 22 8mo 1734 in OT, PC [22 Oct 1734 in ?];
7. Mary, b. 3 9mo 1736 in OT, PC [3 Nov 1736 in BC];
8. George, b. 2 11mo 1738 in OT, PC [2 Jan 1739 in BC];
9. Edward, b. 19 9mo 1740 in OT, PC [19 Nov 1740 in ?];
10. Nathan, b. 1741-1743 in ET, PC [abt. 1742 in BC];
11. Squire, b. 5 8mo 1744 in ET, PC [5 Oct 1744 in BC];
12. Hannah, b. 24 6mo 1746 in ET. PC [24 Aug 1746 in ?].
There is only one "serious' conflict in the above-- ref. the birthplace of
3. Samuel, OT, PC vs. Bucks Co. However, those 1st three birthplaces are
crucial, as one source (Jenkins) has Squire & Sarah going to Bucks Co.
after their marriage and remaining there until abt. 1730-- and then going
to OT, PC; whereas Faragher has them going immediately to OT, PC. Is there
any ref. to Sarah, Israel & Samuel in the Exeter/Oley MM minutes?
Also, I was wondering about something else-- story goes that one of the
first "strains" between the Quakers & BOONEs was the marriage of Sarah to
the German "worldling," John WILCOXSON, m. 5 mo 1742 [29? Jul 1742],
eventually resulting in the disassociation of the BOONEs from the Quakers--
contributing to their decision to migrate; however I note that Squire Sr.
was not "disowned" by the Quakers until 1748, after another "disorderly"
marriage, son Israel to ? in 1747. Thus my guess is that the marriage of
Sarah & John was recorded by the Quakers-- is this so?
Finally, I would welcome any BOONE info. recorded by the Quakers 1750 - 1850.
I realize this is a tall, tall order for anyone person, but I would be glad
to cite anyone providing a healthy chunk of info. as a source when I submit
this info. to the 'net or CD.
FROM: Mike ()
|Gwynedd, Exeter, Oley MM minutes by Michael Milton Mason <>|