QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-02 > 0886616080

From: Edward Sinker <>
Subject: Owl Creek Meeting House, Ohio
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 18:14:40 +0000

Hi

I received several replies to my query, both to the list and
privately. I have privately replied to some and it you don't
mind, I will reply to the rest on the list so you all know what
is going on.

Firstly, thanks Dan for doing that tremendous piece of
detective work and my thanks also go out to Candy, Marv,
Bob and cousin Sioux.

It would appear that the Owl Creek Preparative Meeting
was located somewhere at the junction of Morrow, Knox
and Richland Counties. I was thrown off by the Alum Creek
MM being located in Delaware County in Hinshaw.

Marv sent from Hinshaw:

1843,9,7. Jacob Lukens [Mitchener], s Wm. & Rachel, Marion
Co., O.; m in Owl Creek MH, Lydia COATS, dt Seymour &
Deborah, Richland Co., O. (H)

Can I ask further questions? My ggggrandparents were
Seymour & Deborah and my ggrandfather was Isaac Coates.
Isaac is mentioned in vol. IV as:

---, --, -- Isaac & Sarah Ann and lists his children incl. my
ggrandmother Rebecca b. 1840, 10, 5

The entry does not say what it is for, ie. rocf, gct or whatever
and he is not mentioned again. His father Seymour is not
mentioned at all except with the marriage of his daughter but
his wife Deborah is mentioned when in 1841 she and dt. Rachel
rocf Phila MM Pa. and again in 1846 presumably after Seymour
died Deborah gct Cincinnati MM, O (H).

My question are, is Hinshaw saying that Owl Creek MH is in
Richland County or is he saying that Seymour and Deborah
are in Richland County? And why isn't Seymour ever mentioned?

Isaac's brother Preston Coates has an entry 1840,1,9 d. bur.
Sandusky O. I found him buried in Line Cemetery, Polk Co. on or
near his farm. the history of the Harlan family has Isaac dead in
1843 and buried at the burying ground nr. Crestline which might mean
that he is with Preston. The cemetery is small with no markers
presumably in the Quaker fashion except Preston and his wife
have stones erected by their children, one of whom was con for
mcd. Line cemetery is just east of Galion. I would be pleased
to hear from anyone who might know of records for those
buried there other than Preston and wife Mary Ann Baker.

I assume that because of the transient nature of the Owl Creek
Preparative Meeting the records might not have been too well
kept.

I am sorry that this is long and rambling. Perhaps I could have
made it clearer but I am trying to piece this family together.

Cheers,
Edward Coates Sinker - email:
Church Lea - GOONS: #2820
Bosbury - Shropshire Family History Society: #3473
Herefordshire HR8 1PX
U. K.

This thread: