QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-09 > 0906220505

From: Densmore <>
Subject: Re: Erie Co. NY MMs
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 1998 11:55:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Sep 1998, Murray McCombs wrote:

> I saw your posting on the Quaker-L list and was wondering if you knew of any
> affiliation or marriages with the Pelham MM (1788-1920), Upper Canada
> Quakers. They were predominatly Hicksite with a mix of Orthodox.

Pelham MM was established in 1799, though Friends were in that area by the
mid to late 1780s, and were meeting, conducting marriages, and even built
a meeting house (Black Creek). Pelham may have had a majority Hicksite at
the time of the separation (not sure, though) but it was the Orthodox side
that has survived. The current Pelham Friends Church, however, did not
become part of the reunified Canadian Yearly Meeting in 1955 but chose
instead to join the Evangelical Friends. Interestingly, the Pelham
initially included, continued to include until ca. 1814, the early
meetings in what is now Erie County, New York.

> I have a Charity McCombs, b 1840 m to William Todd. It is stated that he
> was from the US, but haven't been able to find out where from. Was there a
> MM in
> Syracuse??

I don't think there was anything in Syracuse or closer to Syracuse than
placed like DeRuyter, Skaneateles, Union Springs, etc. at that time.

Christopher Densmore
E-Mail:

This thread: