QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-09 > 0906610704

From: Thomas Moore <>
Subject: Conard/Conrad - Montgomery County, PA
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 00:18:24 -0400

Hello,

I received this from a cousin who is not a subscriber to this list. I
hope someone may be able to help.

>There are several Cornelius Conrad/Conards. All descend from Madtis
Conders, the
>second son of Thones Kunders, and the name goes back to a Cornelius
Tyson, an ancestor.

>The Norristown one was born 13 Jun 1783, son of Samuel and Hannah
(Baker)
>Conard/Conrad. He wed Hannah Shoemaker, 10 Mar 1809 at Horsham MM,
>Montgomery Co. He was a miller in Upper Dublin twp. Cornelius is said

to have
>lived 84 years and probably died in Norristown. Hannah, wife, died
about 1843 &
>they had eleven children, :
> William, 11 Mar 1810---NEED
> Charles, 10 Sep 1811--NEED
> Phebe W., 25 Sep 1813-1 Jun 1900, unmd, bur Upper Dublin
> Samuel, 17 Sep 1815-NEED wife named Willamina, m c1842
> James, 18 Jan 1816, Horsham, NEED, wife named Margaret
> Jesse, 22 Mar 1820, Horsham, NEED
> Isaac, 27 Feb 1822, Horsham m Rachel Styer, have family; took CONRAD
as spelling
> Hannah, 17 Jan 1825, Horsham-7 Jan 1894, unmd, bur Upper Dublin
> Elizabeth, 6 May 1827, Upper Dublin, may have m Eli Dresher
> Cornelius III, 3 Sep 1829--had six sons, all used CONARD, partial
records
> Violetta, 11 Jan 1836, Upper Dublin, prob. d. young as is not in '50
census

>Cornelius Conard II married again, about 1845, to an Elizabeth, b c1797

and is
>believed to have had no issue by this marriage.

>Census records show the Cornelius family as Cornelius Conard, 1810
Upper Dublin
>twp, 1820, Cornelius Conard, Horsham twp. Do not have 1830 but in 1840

Upper
>Dublin and 1850, same, p 56

>The son Charles, my most of interest, married out of unity by 1838. It

is from this Charles that I >hope to connect the small CUNERD family and

I am hoping that this Charles can be found as >marrying an Elizabeth
----about 1837, him dying soon. She is found in the 1850 census of
>Upper Merion twp., Montgomery Co., with a 13 year old son, Charles
Conard and
>another family, her name being then Elizabeth CARNAHAN.

>On Film #25981, Part 3, Horsham Monthly Meeting Records Charles S.
Conard
>was reported as married out of unity 1 Aug 1838, an offering was
accepted on
>22 Aug 1838 (what this means I am not sure, but I found no further
record of him).

First, what did they mean when they said "an offering was accepted" ?

Second, does anyone have any other information on these Conard/Conrads,
especially Charles?

Thank you very much for any help you may be able to provide.

Take care.
Tom Moore

--

Moore Hope for the Future