QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1998-09 > 0906733693

From: "Paul Redden" <>
Subject: Re: Quakers and Slaves
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:28:13 -0400

I have a question on the issue of Slavery also. I have an 1875 Pittsburgh
Newspaper clipping where a 112 year old former slave named Frank Wentt was
under the care of my third great grandparents who had held a society
birthday party for him that year in Pittsburgh. C.G. Hussey had given him
a country home and the use of a house in the city durring the winter. Mr.
Wentt had been born around Winchester, VA and was later owned by Col. David
LUPTON, a Quaker and the father of my fifth great grandfather, Joseph
Updegraff's second wife, Ann Lupton to whom he was given before they moved
to Ohio around 1800 and had been with the family ever since. Now here is
the delimma. The UPDEGRAFF's were staunch anti-slavery. It was their
ancestor, Abraham Op den Graeff who authored and signed the first Quaker
anti-slavery petition in 1688. The HUSSEY's also were anti-slavery with
C.G. Hussey himself contributing a vast portion of his millions to
anti-slavery as well as temperance and womens sufferage and schools for
women. His business partner, Rev. Charles Avery (Methodist) founded the
first African American College in the country in Allegheny, PA (Pittsburgh)
in the 1840's which was used as a documented station for the Underground
Railroad. I also have an anti-slavery pamphlet describing a large slave
auction in 1858 that I believe was authored, or at least sponsored by C.G.
Hussey and that he saved. Most of these documents are scanned or
transcribed and available from my home page.

Paul Redden
http://users.inna.net/~redden
for high resolution US Census microfilms on CD for easy home viewing and
printing visit
http://www.digital-antiquities.com/census.htm