QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1999-03 > 0922588618

From: Jane Gilman <>
Subject: Re: Surnames of Quaker ancestors
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:36:58 -0800

Keith/Connie Street wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have seen several lists where we have common surnames. I am naming some of
> my surnames where individuals were early Quakers and settlers in America. I
> will number them, but the numbers have no significance other than to
> separate one entry from another.
> 1. Valentine HOLLINGSWORTH and first wife, Ann REE (who died in England 1
> April 1671.) Valentine was the immigrant to New Castle County, Delaware. My
> line descends from their daughter, Mary HOLLINGSWORTH, who married Thomas
> CONWAY.
> 2. Walter HUMPHREYS and first wife Mary OSBORNE. Mary died, I think, before
> Walter came to America circa 1676-1680, and located near Burlington, New
> Jersey. My line descends from their daughter Mary HUMPHREYS who married
> George ELKINTON.
> 3. John BUTCHER and wife Ann, who came to America circa 1680 and settled
> near Burlington, New Jersey. My line descends from their daughter, Frances
> BUTCHER who married John ANTRIM.
> 4. Samuel BOYES and Lydia BEAMOND. Samuel died in Saybrook, Connecticut, in
> 1683. My line descends from their son, Samul BOYES.
> 5. George BOONE and Sarah UPPEY. They are either the immigrants or the
> parents of the immigrant, George BOONE, who married Mary MAUGRIDGE. My line
> descends from George and Mary's son, Squire BOONE, who married Sarah MORGAN.
> George died in Berks County, Pennsylvania, in 1744.
> 6. Richard RATCLIFF and Elizabeth unknown. They were early settlers in Isle
> of Wight County, Virginia. My line descends from their son, Richard
> RATCLIFF, who married Elizabeth OUDELANT.
> 7. Thomas JORDAN, who came in the Diana circa 1630's. Sketchy and
> contradictory information. Possible parents Samuel JORDAN and Cicely BALEY.
> Samuel may be immigrant ancestor, coming to Virginia in 1610. Probably
> settled at Nansemond, Virginia. Early records show Thomas' marriage to Lucy
> CORKER, but am not sure that that is correct. My line descends from Thomas'
> son, another Thomas JORDAN who married Margaret BRASSIEUR.
> 8. John D. BATES and Elizabeth WINSTON. They came from England in 1623 and
> settled near Bruton Parish in Virginia, York County, and may not have been
> Quakers. My line descends from both a son and a daughter. The son is George
> BATES, wife Mary unknown. The daughter is Susannah BATES who married Stephen
> TARLETON.
> 9. Richard HARRISON and Elizabeth BESOUTH. They were immigrants before 1648
> and settled in Skimino, York County, Virginia. They may not have been
> Quakers, but numerous descendants are Quaker. My line descends from their
> son, William HARRISON who married Mary HUBBARD.
> 10. William BRINTON and Ann BAGLEY. In 1684 they came to America, and stayed
> briefly in New Castle County, Delaware. They then moved to Birmingham,
> Chester County, Pennsylvania. My line descends from their daughter, Esther
> BRINTON, who married John WILLIS. John's parents, Henry WILLIS and Mary
> [...]

Keith,

What an excellent, thorough list you wrote. Just wish your Quakers were
some of mine. I am going to try to do the same 25 names.

I have an Elizabeth Levering TAYLOR who m. John CLEAVER who was b. abt
1704 Bristol Twp. PA.

also, Joshua WRIGHT Sr. d. 10 Aug. 1695 Burlington. NJ

also, Thomas FRENCH b. 29 Oct 1639 Nether Heyford, England, m. 12 June
in England Jane ATKINS. He d. 3 May, 1699 Rancocos, Burlington, NJ.

Were these any of yours?

Jane Kennard Gilman

This thread: