QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 1999-09 > 0936297933

From: "Jerry Richmond" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] EMBREE/THORN(E)?
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:45:33 -0500

Alice -

Moses Embree marr. 25 6M 1752 Exeter MM, Berks co,PA to
Margaret Elleman. This was your Moses (2); he was received at
Exeter MM on 27 4M 1745 on cert from Abington MM. Moses (1)
and wife Mary & son Samuel were received at Exeter MM on
31 5M 1740 on cert from Haverford MM. Samuel, son of Moses
& wife, of Lancaster co,PA, marries at Robinson Mtg, auspices of
Exeter MM, Berks co,PA, on 26 2M 1743, Rachel Lewis, dau of
James & wife, of Lancaster co,PA.

Exeter MM on 26 7M 1753 Moses & wife granted cert to Cane
Creek MM,NC. [This would be your Moses (2)]. At Exeter MM on
4 10M 1769 Moses, son of Samuel, granted cert to Cane Creek MM,NC.
[This would be Moses(3)]. On 29 8M 1770 he was received back on
cert from Fredericksburg MM,SC [Moses(3)]. Moses (2) stayed and was
member of Bush River MM,SC. Gene.recs. there show 8 children
including Thomas b.31 7M 1755.

Moses (2) [and family] were received on this cert from Exeter MM at
Cane Creek MM,NC in 1754 and were granted cert by Cane Creek MM
to Fredericksburg MM,SC in 1768. Bush River MM was successor Mtg
in 1772 to Fredericksburg MM,SC whose records have not survived.

Exeter MM on 7 7M 1774 Moses Embree, son of Samuel & Rachel,
marries at Maiden Creek MH, Mary Richardson, dau of Richard &
Mary, all parties of Berks co,PA. In 1786 Moses (3), w Mary & 3
children [incl Moses(4)] granted cert to Hopewell MM,VA.

After the Quaker adventure in SC fizzled out, Moses (2) and sons
families are found at Westfield MM,NC and subsequently at
Mt.Pleasant MM, Grayson co,VA when that mtg was set off from
Westfield.

Hope these clues help.

Regards, Jerry Richmond