QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2000-08 > 0966712473

From: "Dan Treadway" <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] William Richardson, West River 1660's
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 14:14:33 -0500

These are my ancestors. Elizabeth was Elizabeth Ewen, daughter
of Richard Ewen. She married first Richard Talbott, who wrote
his will at West River, Anne Arundel County, Maryland on 21 April
1666, and must have died soon after. My ancestor John Talbott
was their son.

According to _Descendants of Richard and Elizabeth (Ewen)
Talbott_ by Ida Morrison Murphy Shirk, 1927, William Richardson
was son of Robert and Susanna Richardson, but no birth date is
given. William wrote his will 21 Dec 1691 at West River, and it
was probated on 28 May 1698. Shirk gives Elizabeth (Ewen)
(Talbot) Richardson's death date at 1 Jan 1704.

I hadn't heard the story about William Penn visiting William
Richardson in Maryland. Can you tell us more?

I can share something about Richard Ewen. Here is the note I
wrote to accompany his statistics in my computer files:

The same Puritan movement that induced so many Englishmen to
move to New England in the 1630's was at work among the Virginia
colonists. These Virginia Puritans, like their New England
brethren, sought to escape the established Church of England
which held sway in Virginia as well as England. To this end,
some of settled in Maryland. Richard Ewen, who made the move in
1649, was among the leaders of this group.

Months after Richard Ewen's arrival in Maryland, Charles I
was executed, and in July, 1654, the new English government
replaced Lord Baltimore's governor, one William Stone, with a
board of ten commissioners. When these commissioners first met,
on 16 Oct 1654, one of them was Richard Ewen. Later that same
month, a General Assembly was held at Patuxent, and Richard Ewen
was a burgess from Providence county. This assembly submitted to
the government by the commissioners, and agreed that no
alteration would be made in it except by the authority of
Cromwell.

Baltimore's governor, however, had another plan. He set up
his office at St. Mary's, and raised a militia, which promptly
made a raid on Patuxent, seizing and carrying back to St. Mary's
the colony's record books along with some arms and ammunition.
The commissioners sent messengers demanding to know by what
authority this action was taken. Stone imprisoned the
messengers, and not long after set out with about two hundred
soldiers to defeat the Commissioners and their followers.

There was a battle, after which only four or five of Stone's
men remained free; fifty or so were dead or wounded, the rest
captives. The Puritan party lost four dead.

When, in 1657, the commissioners returned power to Lord
Baltimore's representatives, they received favorable terms,
receiving indemnity and retaining arms, ammunition, and the right
to hold office in the colony. Richard Ewen was one who did hold
office under this new arrangement, being made a Major in the
militia in 1658. He was also appointed Justice of the Peace that
year, but asked to be excused because of his military
obligations, which was allowed. In 1659 he was Speaker of the
House of Burgesses, but he seems to have died during the session,
as Robert Slye was Speaker at the end of the session.

---
Dan Treadway
postal: P. O. Box 72, Gilbert IA 50105
email: