Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2000-10 > 0972415166

From: Thomas Hamm <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Slavery in VA, Wills, Anthonys/Clarks Va to OH
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:19:26 -0600

>Hello Q-R listers,
>I am new to Quaker genealogy and was surprised when I saw that Quakers did in
>fact own slaves. I simply assumed that Quakers were always against slavery.
>Can anyone enlighten me (off the top of your heads, no research requested)
>when and why anti-slavery sentiment began gathering steam among Quakers? Just

Briefly, while there were signs of antislavery sentiment among
Friends as early as the 1670s, the movement "gathered steam" in the
1750s. It was linked to a larger reform movement that generally
tightened the Discipline. By 1784 all of the yearly meetings of
Friends had ruled that no member could own a slave, and that all
Quaker slaveholders must free them. Of course, some Friends who
owned slaves chose to keep their slaves and lose their membership.

This thread: