QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2000-10 > 0972415166

From: Thomas Hamm <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Slavery in VA, Wills, Anthonys/Clarks Va to OH
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:19:26 -0600

>Hello Q-R listers,
>
>I am new to Quaker genealogy and was surprised when I saw that Quakers did in
>fact own slaves. I simply assumed that Quakers were always against slavery.
>Can anyone enlighten me (off the top of your heads, no research requested)
>when and why anti-slavery sentiment began gathering steam among Quakers? Just
>wondering.
>
>Thanks
>
>Pam

Briefly, while there were signs of antislavery sentiment among
Friends as early as the 1670s, the movement "gathered steam" in the
1750s. It was linked to a larger reform movement that generally
tightened the Discipline. By 1784 all of the yearly meetings of
Friends had ruled that no member could own a slave, and that all
Quaker slaveholders must free them. Of course, some Friends who
owned slaves chose to keep their slaves and lose their membership.

This thread: