QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2001-04 > 0986495259

From: Beth Fipps <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Quaker versus Christian Church
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:27:39 -0700 (PDT)

I might be catholic with a small "c' but I am NOT catholic with a capital "C". Therefore I will tell you that I am a Christian, not Catholic. The word Christian connotates someone who has accepted Jesus as their Savior and Lord and has a personal relationship with Him. The Roman Catholic church worships Mary and a slew of Saints, a dogma unique to it and a practise not found in the Word of God.

Tom Townsend <> wrote:
'Catholic' comes from the Greek word "katholikos" meaning 'universal' or
'general'. You can use it as an adjective if you don't capitalize it. In
fact, in the Nicene Creed, part of the dogma of the Roman Catholic Church
(and recited as every mass), 'catholic' is used as an adjective:

"We believe in the holy and = catholic = (ed: emphasis mine)
Apostolic Church..."

One of my pet peeves is is when I hear people say "No, I'm not Catholic, I'm
Christian."

Tom Townsend