QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2002-03 > 1016553139

From: Paul Hatcher <>
Subject: Re: [Q-R] Gabriel Newby
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:52:22 -0500

Okay Gang, my turn.

I have been adding 2 months, to my dates before 1752, for almost 40 years,
to more accurately reflect the time of year of the event, not, to correct
the records written by someone who had no way of knowing that the calendar
would be changed. The records I sent below were copied as shown in Hinshaw
as I stated. To be exact, one would also have to change the day of the month
also. The calendar was changed in 1750, but most people continue to
double-date until 1752 or later. I realized several years ago that the
Quakers were in almost monthly contact with England and would have known
about the change almost immediately. Most family tree programs today handle
double-dating automatically, but don't get the idea that the practice of
adding two months is universal. I would be willing to bet that less than 5
percent understand the change. The Quakers never used the names For days or
months because they believed them to be named after Pagan Gods. It was clear
when they wrote 7th 6m or 6m 7th, but 6-7-yyyy could only be deciphered by
looking at the whole page or pages. Since most of the records were recorded
monthly, sometimes many pages would have to be searched to find days larger
than 12 to find out what that particular clerk's format was. It is nice to
find out that there are many other people are adding two month also. I have
been telling people what a terrible mistake I had made and they would be
wise not to follow my example. I have over 171,000 people in my file, so
changing now is out of the question. With almost everyone on the internet
copying everyone else, this thing of adding two months is getting out of
hand. In some cases I have seen, the two months had been added several
times. I haven't seen any family tree programs that allow anything other
than double-dating and many people turn that off. Family Tree Maker, which
has most of the market, will not allow one to enter 12 30 1745, which would
be 12 (Feb.) 30 1745/46, because February no longer has more than 29 days.
Personally, I wish everyone had just recorded the information as they found
it.

Paul
> > Gabriel NEWBY
> > Mary NEWBY
> > Children:
> > William b. 13 1M. 1689 (Mar)
> > Edward b. 12 10M.1691 (Dec)
> > Joseph b. 27 9M 1693 (Nov)
> > Francis b. 3 11M 1695 (Jan)
> > Isabel b. 28 10M 1697 (Dec)
> > Mary b. 3 11M 1699 (Jan)
> > Meriam
> > Jesse
> > Elizabeth
> > (no dates listed for last three children)
> >
> > Regards, Jerry Richmond
> > You are cordially invited to visit "The Quaker Collection"
> > http://home.sprynet.com/~jrichmon/qkrcoll.htm

Genealogy.

> > Perquimans monthly meeting (now Piney Woods MM), Perquimans county,
North
> > Carolina:
> >
> > Gabriel NEWBY
> > Mary NEWBY
> > Children:
> > William b. 13 Jan. 1689 "?"
> > Edward b. 12 Oct.1691
> > Joseph b. 27 Sep. 1693
> > Francis b. 3 Nov. 1695
> > Isabel b. 28 Oct. 1697
> > Mary b. 3 Nov. 1699
> > Meriam
> > Jesse
> > Elizabeth
> > (no dates listed for last three children)
> >
> > Paul Hatcher

This thread: