QUAKER-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > QUAKER-ROOTS > 2002-03 > 1016563479

From: Jean Leeper <>
Subject: [Q-R] Dates
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:44:39 -0600

Dear Quaker Lists Members,

I do not convert dates for one very good reason. Unless I have seen the original entry myself I can not be sure that the date I am starting with is correct date or not and also I can not be sure that I am converting it correctly. So I leave the dates I find alone and usually state I have not changed the date that my source had.

I also am not sure we need to be so overly concerned about dates. I believe our forefathers were more interested in staying alive than worrying about the exact date of their birth or the birth of their children. I believe this is something that us 21st. century people are concerned with and maybe even a little too much.

In England up until the late mid 1800s, my researcher in England told me, often when a baby was christened they would probably tell the vicar " "He was born two days after the full moon" or "the day before we planted our south field" and etc. She said until the railroads came each village even had a different time. I beleive by 1837 they were to record in their county the record of child's birth but many did not. I have found the date of birth when christened differing from the civil record recorded date of birth.

Most member of the Society of Friends could read or write but I am sure that different monthly meetings adopted the new calander at different times. Some yes recorded that date and others I do not believe did. If you lived in a region where people could not read or write, the people usually estimated their age, or over the years changed the date. Again surviving, having shelter, clothing and feeding the family was most important.

The marriage date of my great grandparents is written in the original records of the Cedar Creek Monthly Meeting of Friends with two different dates. I know which one is correct because I have the original marriage record with all of the signatures but this was not acceptable to a member on this list and they kept the wrong date from Quaker records. ;-) I decided I knew what was correct and it did not matter that much. My mother recorded my husband and my date of marriage wrong by a year in the Quaker records. Glad I did not have a nine month baby, it would have been born before our marriage. She had the year as 1966 instread of 1965. So if you get hold of the actual Quaker record, I was not married a year and nime months when my baby was born. She was thinking I married ten years after my brother and that is almost true. I married ten years and one week after my brother. I married on Christmas Eve Day and he on New Years Day.

Have a great afternoon!

--

or

"Watch What You Say or Do, You Might Sell Your Parrot To The Town Gossip and
If You Don't Have A Parrot Someone Above May Be Watching You"

Register Report: http://www.harenet.net/~jeanlee/Leeper%20Genealogical.html

Every Name Index: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jeanlee

Marion County IA Gen.Soc.: http://www.rootsweb.com/~iamcgs/Index.html

Researching: WILMETH, DENNY/DENNEY